student life

Gresham introduces new dining option

Student workers learn about how the new Den by Denny's will operate during the soft-opening on Saturdy afternoon in Gresham foodcourt. Den by Denny's officially opens on Tuesday and used the weekend to find out what problems could come up during busy serving times and how to fix them/

Those late-night milkshake cravings can now be satisfied.

Students will now be able to get milkshakes, burgers and much more at Gresham dining hall in Foster Quad’s latest addition, the Den by Denny’s, which had its soft opening Sept. 3 and will open officially today.

The Den is a spin-off of the traditional Denny’s restaurant that caters to college students, said Kent Rerko, RPS Dining Services marketing manager. The menu features Denny’s classics, like the Original Grand Slam, in addition to new menu items like burritos and tacos.

“It has a very broad menu, so people will be able to find something that they like,” Rerko said.

In addition to lunch and dinner options, the Den also features an all-day breakfast menu that freshman Kayla Schultz said she looks to take full advantage of.

“When I want breakfast food I want good breakfast food instead of a doughnut or something,” 
Schultz said.

She said she believes the pancakes and brioche breakfast melts, as well as other meals, will be good options for students.

This new location is one of many found around the country at various universities. The idea to bring the chain to IU came from members of the Meal Plan Committee that visited a Den location at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

The committe constantly 
discusses any changes that can be made to dining. They said they wanted this new option to work well with the resident life aspects of the former Hoosier Den 
concept.

The Den will take place of the Hoosier Den that sold food items like hot dogs and pizza.

“This is a much more comprehensive concept,” Rerko said. “Students will still get a really good value and high-quality food here.”

Rerko said he believes the Den is priced competitively with Gresham’s other dining options. Students will be able to use iBucks as well as get their discount at the new dining spot.

[Forest dining hall adapts to staffing shortage | IDS]

The Den will be open 7 a.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. Sunday and Saturday. It will stay open until 12 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday and 2 a.m. Thursday through 
Saturday.

Schultz said she believes the late night hours will be a good option for students. Both Schultz and Rerko said they believe students will enjoy the variety of options the Den has to offer.

“If they’re studying late they’ll be able to come in and get dinner, or if they’re craving breakfast food they’ll be able to get breakfast food too,” Schultz said.