Phi Kappa Psi suspended

Phi Kappa Psi's IU chapter has been placed on suspension following violations of the student code of conduct, including hazing and drug use, IU spokesperson Mark Land said.

The Indiana Beta Supervisory Committee voluntarily surrendered the chapter’s charter to the Phi Psi Fraternity National Headquarters Dec. 19, according to a press release from the fraternity headquarters.

"The headquarters, alumni, and university have closed the chapter after a length period - last spring and this fall - of reports, incidents, investigations, educational interventions, and finally a decision to close the chapter," assistant dean of students Steve Veldkamp said in an email.

The chapter was found to be responsible for two specific instances of hazing and drug use this fall, Land said. The University collaborated with the Phi Psi's headquarters on the chapter's suspension.

“This suspension is due to members taking part in conduct which violated the Fraternity's standards and expectations with regard to risk management, and which contradict The Creed and values of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity," the release stated.

The IU Police Department and Bloomington Fire Department were called to the Phi Psi house in mid-November, IUPD Lt. Craig Munroe said. 

The fire department responded to a fire alarm at the house and detected the odor of burnt marijuana, Munroe said. Upon entering the house, marijuana and paraphernalia were found inside.

Munroe said no arrests were made and the case was then referred to the Dean of Students. He said this was the only call made to the Phi Psi house since Aug. 1.

According to the IU Student Life and Learning website, Phi Psi had previously been under suspension, effective May 8, 2015 through May 31, 2016, and social probation, effective May 8, 2015 through Dec. 31, 2015. Hazing was cited as the cause for the deferred suspension.

The Phi Psi house is currently vacant, according to the release, and chapter members will not occupy the house in the spring 2016 semester.

Veldkamp said the Phi Psi house is owned by alumni and Phi Psi members will be allowed to access their belongings in the house when returning to campus from winter break.

The suspension follows the termination of IU's chapter of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. The former ATO house was shut down in early November.

The Phi Psi fraternity has a 146-year history at IU and has initiated 3,195 men in that time.

The statement said the fraternity is committed to working with University officials and alumni to return to campus in the fall 2017 semester.

All members of the current chapter are now forbidden from activities related to the fraternity and living in the chapter house, according to the statement.

Current chapter members have been advanced to an “alumnus” status, at which they will remain throughout the rest of their time at IU. These members will not be allowed to participate in chapter events, even with the possibility that the fraternity is rechartered.

Carley Lanich