Bluegrass band comes to Players Pub

Okkervil River at Upland

The White Lightning Boys, a bluegrass band with roots in Brown County, will perform at the Players Pub on ?Thursday.

The show is set to begin at 8 p.m. There will be a $5 cover charge.

Players Pub co-owner Vicky Kilner said the White Lightning Boys have performed at the pub several times and typically draw a good crowd.

“The couple times they’ve been here have been pretty good,” she said.

She added the band used to frequent Max’s Place, a former music venue and restaurant on the downtown square, but began performing at Players Pub once Max’s closed.

The band is comprised of Barry Elkins, Bird Snider, Dan “Pickerdan” Bilger, Bob Adair, Ryan Deasy and Michael ?Lindeau.

Formed in the early 2000s, the band frequently tours Brown County and the surrounding areas, according to the group’s Facebook page.

The White Lightning Boys play an array of bluegrass instruments, including mandolin, guitar, bass, banjo, Dobro and fiddle.

The band lists artists such as Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys, Doc Watson, Jimmy Martin and more as influences on their performance style.

They recently opened for another bluegrass act, Yonder Mountain String Band, at the Bluebird Nightclub last week.

The venue is family-friendly, Kilner said, although those wishing to get closer to the stage must be 21-years-old or older. Kilner said there is also plenty of free parking behind the pub.

Prior to the White Lightning Boys’ performance, Bomar & Ritter, a contemporary folk/pop duo, will perform. That performance begins at 5 p.m. and is free.

Following the White Lightning Boys, karaoke will begin at about 11 p.m.