Coleman to the Falcons, Wynn and Rahrig sign contracts

Junior running back Tevin Coleman runs the ball during IU's game against Purdue on Nov. 29, 2014 at Memorial Stadium. Coleman surpassed 2,000 yards rushing on the season during the Hoosiers' final game of the year.

Former IU running back Tevin Coleman was selected by the Atlanta Falcons with the 73rd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft on Friday evening in Chicago.

Coleman is the highest-drafted running back since Vaughn Dunbar was the 21st overall pick in 1992. He will join former Hoosier teammate Adam Replogle, who graduated from IU in 2012.

Last season, Coleman rushed for a school-record 2,036 yards on his way to becoming an All-American. He placed seventh in Heisman Trophy voting and was one of three finalists for the Doak Walker Award, an honor given to the nation’s best running back.

In 2014, Coleman finished second nationally in rushing yards, rushing yards per game (169.7), all-purpose yards per game (181.4), and yards from scrimmage per game (181.4), despite playing the second half of the season on a broken toe.

Wide receiver Shane Wynn, who has the second-most receptions in IU history (189), announced Saturday via Twitter that he will be joining Coleman in Atlanta.

“Got signed out of free agency, I am an Atlanta Falcon,” Wynn tweeted.

Center Collin Rahrig was also picked up after the final round of the draft.

“I am blessed to say that I am going to be a Steeler!” he tweeted. “And can’t wait to get to work in Pittsburgh and rep the black and yellow!!”

Grace Palmieri