Tony-award winning musical opens tonight

Nice Work If You Can Get It is coming to the IU Auditorium Thurday at 8 p.m.

The Tony-winning musical “Nice Work If You Can Get It” will play at 8 p.m. tonight at the IU Auditorium.

Tickets are $21-$42 for IU students with a valid ID and $39-$63 for the general public.

The musical comedy, featuring music and lyrics by George and Ira Gershwin, is set during the 1920s and tells the story of characters gathering in New York to celebrate the wedding of playboy Jimmy Winter.

Maria Talbert, associate director of IU Auditorium, said the auditorium wanted to present the show so that all people who love the fun and whimsy of old movie musicals could experience something fresh and new.

“A good musical ?comedy, like this one, has a way of making audiences forget their troubles and indulge in something totally lighthearted and sweet,” she said. “In ‘Nice Work,’ you get the best parts of good musical comedy — amazing songs, top-notch production numbers, a carefree story and an immensely ?talented cast.”

IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher said in a press release that “Nice Work” is one of the best new titles to come from Broadway in ?recent years.

“Audiences are sure to fall in love with this production — with its classic Gershwin tunes, amazing choreography, and whimsical story that harkens back to the golden age of Broadway musicals,” he said in a press release.

Meredith Smith, a ?freshman majoring in dance, said she is excited to see musical.

“Nice Work If You Can Get It” will be the first show she’ll see at IU Auditorium.

“I love all the songs, and I’m sure the dance numbers will be awesome,” she said. “It’ll be a nice break from studying for my classes.”

In addition to the performance, audience members will have the opportunity to interact with members of the cast at a question and answer session to be held immediately following the show.

“The beauty of this kind of show is that it is all about uplifting people’s spirits,” Talbert said. “We know audiences are going to walk out of ‘Nice Work’ having not only seen an incredible performance but feeling just a bit cheerier than they had walking in.”