Secretary of State candidate violates election law

Secretary of State candidate Beth White and current Marion County clerk will be facing penalties after the midterm election on Nov. 4.

The Democratic challenger to incumbent Connie Lawson was outed by the Indiana Republican Party last week for not having a financial disclaimer on postcard-sized ?campaign literature.

According to Indiana campaign finance regulations, all campaign literature must disclose who paid for it.

Publishing candidate material without a disclaimer is a felony, punishable up to $5,000, one-year imprisonment or both.

White said the error was made at the place where her campaign materials are printed and that the disclaimer was on the original copy of the post.

Posters and other distributed campaign materials have disclaimers that they are funded by White’s campaign and the chair, former Indiana Senator and former Monroe County Auditor Vi Simpson.

The Indiana Secretary of State’s office is in charge of the facilitation of elections and voting across the state.

White’s campaign has accused Secretary Lawson and the Indiana Republican Party of voter ?intimidation.

Earlier this year, the Secretary of State’s office sent letters to registered voters in an effort to update voter information.

Those receiving the letters were to respond to verify or update their registration information. Those who did not respond were put on an inactive list.

Voters on the list can become active again by voting in elections until 2017, after which they will be removed as a registered voter.

More than 700,000 records of registered voters were placed on the inactive list in August.

In addition, more than 4 million cards were sent to voters across the state.

White said in a release that the timing of the voter refresh initiative was poorly timed between the primary and general elections, that county clerks were not given sufficient notice and that it was expensive.

Voter registration upkeep by states has been required by the federal government since the passing of the National Voter Registration Act of 1993.

Indiana Republican party chairman Tim Berry said Secretary Lawson’s initiative was abiding by the federal law.

“For an individual that currently serves as an election administrator and running to be chief elections officer, you would think that individual would look closer at election laws,” Berry said.

In her statement, White accused the Indiana Republicans of targeting inactive voters to question the eligibility of their previous votes.

Berry denied contact with the voters.