Fall Ballet provides range of art, talent

entBallet

Three very unusual ballets will be part of this year’s fall ballet, with performances at 8 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday.

“Emeralds,” “Dark Elegies” and “The Envelope” were selected to be brought to life by students within IU’s Ballet Department.

“You will travel through every emotion in this Fall Ballet,” senior Ellie Edwards said of the three performances.

Edwards dances in both “Emeralds” and “Dark Elegies” and said she has had an experience like no other when working on these performances.

Edwards said she was able to learn her role in “Emeralds” from Mimi Paul, the original dancer to take on the part.

Paul and distinguished professor of ballet Violette Verdy were the first two dancers to perform as principals in the performance, she said.

Verdy danced for the original choreographer George Ballanchine, who worked with the New York City ballet during the 20th century.

Ballanchine is often called the father of American ballet and worked in the United States from 1933 to his death in 1983.

It is an honor and a gift unlike any other to be directed by Paul and Verdy, Edwards said.

“They have so much to give, so much to share,” she said.

For Edwards, the elegance of the show is what makes it amazing.

“I think it’s hard not to feel beautiful in this ballet,” she said.

“Emeralds” is a French piece with an atmosphere that conjures images of the late 19th century, such as courtly love, chivalry and respect.

It comes from a longer three-act ballet titled “Jewels,” which was first performed in 1967 at the New York State Theater. The Fall Ballet will only feature the final act of “Jewels,” which portrays a dramatic end to the longer three act performance.

“It pushes the dancers to a totally professional level,” Verdy said.

Creating the atmosphere while still performing with high skill levels and technique is what makes the show so special, she said.

“It has been so inspiring,” sophomore Raffaella Stroik said of her experience working with Verdy on her role.

Stroik said Verdy’s dedication is apparent and helps the dancers gain insight into the performance.

Being one of the first ballerinas to dance the performance gives Verdy an in-depth experience from which to teach her dance students.

“I’m sure it’ll make for a very elegant and beautiful performance,” Stroik said.

Though the ballet doesn’t have a specific storyline, it still conveys an elegant feeling, she said.

“There are moments where it’s very dreamlike,” she said.

Junior Alexandra Hartnett said she has had a similar experience in preparing for the ballet.

“It was really, honestly kind of surreal for me,” she said of her time with Verdy. “I wanted to do (the performance) justice.”

Hartnett said her goal was to see the ballet from Verdy’s perspective as she learned the steps.

While the dancers have enjoyed the rehearsals, it also comes with its challenges, they said.

“It is an amazing challenge to do it in September,” Verdy said.

The lack of time has made it difficult for the dancers to prepare, even though they have been rehearsing daily to add details and finishing touches to the performance, she said.

“I wish we had more time,” Stroik said.

Following “Emeralds,” Verdy said the next show, “Dark Elegies,” is completely different.

It is heart-rending, she said.

Stroik said “Dark Elegies” is a play about human grief told through a great disaster in a village that leads to people losing their children.

She said the emotional journey travels from despair to mourning to resignation to hope.

“It’s extremely emotional and moving,” she said. “Every rehearsal I’ve felt something different.”

Edwards said the process of preparing “Dark Elegies” was a very meticulous one.

“It was a very slow process,” she said. “It’s a piece that takes a lot of care.”

She said it is vital to maintain dignity despite the sadness experienced by the characters. The final performance, “The Envelope,” is completely different from the first two and makes a delightful closer, Verdy said.

“It’s a very cute ballet,” she said.

The diversity of the shows adds to the appeal and will allow people to experience a wide range of emotions, Edwards said.

“The Envelope” is fun, she said. It will make people laugh.

She said she believes the fall ballet will be a wonderful experience for everybody, even those who don’t attend ballets regularly because of the diversity of the pieces that show an evolution of dance.

“They will see something amazing,” Verdy said.

Hartnett said even though the performances are amazing, the environment of the rehearsals is also fantastic.

“All of IUBT are really supportive of each other,” she said.

Being a part of this production has been a phenomenal experience, Hartnett said.

“Ballet is for the heart and the soul,” Verdy said.

Tickets for the performance are available online or at the Musical Arts Center ?box office.