crime & courts

State trooper shot while halting robbery

ciTrooper

A barrage of gunfire between an Indiana state trooper and a man robbing a gun shop has left the suspect dead and the trooper with non-life threatening wounds.

Trooper Jarrod Lents, a nine-year veteran of the Indiana State Police, responded to the report of an armed robbery shortly after 1:35 p.m. June 17, when gunfire was exchanged. Lents was shot multiple times.

The disturbance was at the Black Oak Armaments Gun Shop in Montgomery, Ind. The preliminary investigation indicates an armed robbery was in progress when Lents arrived.

Gunfire was exchanged between Trooper Lents and the suspect.

Lents was struck multiple times, but his injuries were reported as non-life threatening. Lents was transported by medical helicopter to Deaconess Hospital in Evansville, Ind.

“I am relieved to learn that Trooper Jarrod Lents’ injuries are not life-threatening,” Gov. Mike Pence said via press release. “Our prayers go out to him, and I am reminded of the risks those who wear the uniform take every day, and of their courageous service to the people of Indiana.”

Lents has since been released from Deaconess Hospital and is now under the care of his family.

The suspect, identified as James D. Jones, 60, of Shoals, Ind., died at the scene as a result of the gunfire exchange.

Jones’ family has been notified.

According to a press release issued by the Indiana State Police, the department  does not take the loss of life lightly.

“It is regrettable the actions of Mr. Jones resulted in his death. The Indiana State Police offers condolences to the extended Jones Family for their loss,” the press release said.

The Indiana State Police also expressed in the press release its thanks and gratitude to the public’s many expressions of well wishes for the speedy recovery of Lents.

This investigation is still ongoing.

Samantha Felix