crime & courts

Housemate argument leads to battery

Police arrested a man Tuesday for striking a female housemate with a crowbar, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

Officers responded at approximately 9:40 p.m. Tuesday to the 1100 block of South Fairview Street, where a 29-year-old suspect was trying to prevent the 27-year-old woman from leaving the residence.

The suspect faces preliminary charges of criminal confinement, battery with a deadly weapon and theft.

The man had reportedly been rude to his 27-year-old female housemate who planned to stay for a short-term period. A verbal altercation between the two started after she made plans for a friend to pick her up and take her away from the residence, Crider said.

The woman reported she was grabbed and thrown onto the bed. The man then reportedly sat on her in an effort to prevent her from leaving.

After she began to scream, the man placed his hands on her mouth to muffle her, causing her breathing difficulties for two minutes.

The woman was able to escape on foot, where the man caught up with her and reportedly took her phone to prevent calls for help.

After the woman’s friend scheduled to pick her up arrived, the 29-year-old male resident approached the incoming 39-year-old man aggressively, Crider said.
The 39-year-old male obtained a hammer from his vehicle for self-defense. The 29-year-old suspect entered his residence, then returned with a crowbar.

While the two men were arguing, the 29-year-old male housemate reportedly threw the crowbar at the woman, striking her left leg.

Police on the scene reported a large bruise on the woman’s shin, as well as a contusion and swelling. The woman also reported pelvic pain and a laceration on her face.

— Jeff LaFave