sports baseball

New baseball facility given name after donation

IU will name its new baseball stadium after former IU baseball student-athlete Bart Kaufman, who made a generous gift to IU Athletics.

“Indiana University is deeply grateful to alumnus Bart Kaufman for his generosity toward the development of a new baseball facility and his support of our mission to provide IU’s student-athletes with the resources they need to compete at the highest level,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the press release.

“The new Bart Kaufman Field promises to significantly strengthen our baseball program as it seeks to build upon strong recent performances, while also greatly enhancing the fan experience at the ballpark.”

Construction is set to begin this spring and scheduled to be completed in time for the 2013 season.

Games that need to be postponed because Sembower Field does not have lights will become a thing of the past.

The field, along with the new softball field, will be located near the State Road 45/46
Bypass.

“With the advent of vastly improved high school baseball programs and significantly improved summer baseball programs for youngsters, there are more students who can be competitive in college baseball,” Kaufman said. “With Coach (Tracy) Smith and his staff, IU is now in a position with improved facilities to be a factor in college baseball.”

Kaufman, currently the chairman and CEO of Indianapolis-area Kaufman Financial Corp., was honored Wednesday night at halftime of the Indiana men’s basketball game against Northwestern.

— Micah McVicker