Players, coaches in favor of home game hotels

For IU football coach Bill Lynch, there is no place like home.

Well, at least when his team does not have a game to play the next day.

“On a college campus, particularly a Big Ten campus, it is busy on a Friday night,” Lynch said. “Whether they are in a residence hall or apartment in town, there are some distractions. It is nice to have them together and focused on what they have
to do.”

For years, the IU football team has stayed in a hotel on the night before a home game.
Now, this might change.

The Pacific-10 Conference recently proposed a measure that would not allow its football teams to stay in hotels the night before a home game. The cost-cutting rule will be voted on at a January NCAA convention in Atlanta. Depending on the verdict, other conferences might follow suit.

IU stays in a team hotel in Bedford on Friday nights to avoid any possible disturbances on campus.

The program pays $10,000 per week for rooms for all coaches, players and additional required personnel, according to IU media relations.

“In this era, we should not dismiss any potential cost containment,” IU Athletic Director Fred Glass said. “But I do think there are some competitive advantages to having our team all together, away from the noise and disruptions of Friday nights on campus.” 

For senior defensive end Jammie Kirlew, the team’s time in Bedford gives the players an added benefit on the field.  

“I think you will have a better performance in the game,” Kirlew said. “It’s important to get away, get your mind set and be focused. I’m sure they have economic reasons why they shouldn’t, but if it’s possible, it is very important to do it.”

The players are using their time for mental preparation. Chris Carr, sport and performance psychologist for IU athletics, works with the team each week to get the players’ minds ready for the gridiron. 

“On Friday nights, we have what he calls a ‘focus session’ where we get together and try to visualize plays that we are going to see tomorrow,” junior quarterback Ben Chappell said. “We realize that the mental part of the game is huge. It’s not just going out there and banging heads.”

Senior defensive end Greg Middleton said the extra time shared with players is crucial for success and adds a bonding experience.

“You get to be with your teammates before the game,” Middleton said. “That builds camaraderie and helps us focus more. We are all together in a quiet place away from everything. That’s how it should be.”