'Subway guy,' IU alum to speak in Indy

Subway sandwich spokesman Jared Fogle will speak Tuesday to an audience of IU alumni and others in Indianapolis with a presentation entitled, “Live Healthy -- Stay Educated -- This is your Kelley School of Business.”

”At the Kelley School of Business, you have to fill out a goal sheet,” said Fogle, an IU alumnus and graduate of the business school. “At that time, I would have never imagined in a million years that I’d be the Subway spokesperson.”

Fogle was boosted to fame in 1999 when the story of his “Subway diet,” initially reported by the Indiana Daily Student, caught the attention of Subway executives. Fogle shot his first Subway commercial while still attending IU.

”I can remember getting phone calls and having to do interviews while I was student at IU,” he said. “Then I graduated in the spring of 2000, and I’ve been on the road ever since.”

He said the relationship between his Kelley degree and his role as Subway spokesperson would dominate his presentation.

”I’m going to speak about how I lost the weight, since it has a direct correlation to me being at IU, and how that developed and how it’s become what it’s become,” Fogle said.

He said his experience at IU was invaluable to his career as a Subway spokesperson.\n”One of the biggest things I learned being at the Kelley School is to seize opportunities when they’re there,” he said. “Part of what it prepares you for is to expect the unexpected.”

The event, held by the Kelley Alumni Club of Indianapolis, will take place at the Bank One Building in Indianapolis.