Michigan State did what no IU opponent had done since Georgia Southern on February 22nd--defeat the Hoosiers on Friday. What's more, the Spartan pitching staff did what no other opponent had done to the Hoosiers all season--hold them to one run. The Hoosiers had scored two runs on a pair of occasions, but the Spartans prevailed in extra innings over the No. 13 Hoosiers (26-5, 8-2) 2-1 Friday afternoon at McLane Stadium.

Senior center fielder Justin Cureton drove home the Hoosiers' first run via a sacrifice fly in the top of the third.

Junior ace Joey DeNato did not earn a decision despite allowing one run on eight hits in 7 2/3 innings. The San Diego native struck out two and did not issue a free pass.

Instead, Spartans right fielder Jimmy Pickens delivered an RBI single against freshman relief pitcher Scott Effross, handing the Hoosiers their first walk-off loss and the Twinsburg, Ohio, native his first career defeat.

According to @IUBaseballNews, the defense produced four Web Gem-worthy plays to end innings. Though the Hoosiers committed two errors, they did not lead to MSU tallies.

For what it's worth, however, the Hoosiers took last year's series opener via a walk-off win.

I'll have more coverage tomorrow live from East Lansing, so keep it tuned here ...

RELATED:

Here is what IU Coach Tracy Smith tweeted after the game.

Here is the release from IUHoosiers.com.

Here is an important development that will impact the rest of the series ... and the Spartans' season.