On March 6, IU's football team hired William Inge away from the Buffalo Bills to serve as its co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. Though spring practice had already started, the Hoosiers brought Inge to Bloomington after then co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Mike Ekeler bolted for a position at USC only two weeks earlier.

Now situated with the team and with only five practices remaining until the 2013 Cream and Crimson Spring Game on April 13, IU Coach Kevin Wilson said he is pleased with how Inge has fit in thus far.

"He knows how to interact and talk to (players), and I feel they know what he's talking about," Wilson said. "Being a player, having been in the league and having been a (defensive) coordinator, I think he commands a little respect without asking for it, and I think the kids listen to him."

Before his time at IU, Inge was the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at the University of Buffalo from 2010-2012. Last season, he was a member of the Buffalo Bills staff as its assistant defensive line coach. He also played college football as a defensive end at Iowa from 1993-96 and received honorable mention all-Big Ten honors during his time in Iowa City.

Inge's past experiences, senior linebacker Jacarri Alexander said, have helped IU's linebackers become better players as well.

"He has an NFL mind for the game; the way he coaches, he slows the game down," Alexander said. "Instead of just thinking, thinking, thinking, he just makes us slow down. He makes it easier for us to fly around, play fast and just incorporate what we do best, which is play physical."

Since two of last year's starters, juniors Chase Hoobler and David Cooper, have been sidelined with injuries this spring, less-experienced players such as redshirt freshman Jordan Wallace, junior transfer Steven Funderburk and freshman T.J. Simmons have all had more playing opportunities.

Because of this, Inge said that he believes they have all gained enough playing and leadership skills to gain confidence on the field. He told them he plans on using a "next man in" system this upcoming season, one that incorporates all members of the IU linebackers corps.

"Seeing us being able to have a pads-first attitude playing with good, fundamental structure, we'll know we'll make it hard for us to beat ourselves," Inge said. "That's where we really want to start. Let's not beat our self, and it will be tough for another team to beat us"