An Indiana University sophomore swimmer has been named to the U.S. roster for the 2012 Short Course World Championships. On Wednesday, USA Swimming announced Steve Schmuhl as the individual selected to compete in the 400-meter individual medley at the event which runs December 12-16 in Istanbul, Turkey.

Finishing third in the 400-meter individual medley at the U.S. Open this past August in Indianapolis medley with a time of 4:18.74, a 2.03 improvement from his preliminary time, earned Schmuhl his spot among the 24 athletes selected for the team. Not only did Schmuhl post a two second improvement during the U.S. Open, but he also set a new IU record in the event.

The Broomfield, Colo. native also placed eleventh in the 400-meter individual medley at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.

As if one Hoosier representing the U.S. in the 2012 Short Course World Championships is not accomplishment enough, former Hoosier All-American and NCAA champion Ben Hesen will also compete in the 50- and 100-meter backstroke events as a member of the team.

A repertoire including a win in the 100-yard backstroke at the 2008 NCAA Championship with a school-record time of 44.72, All-America honors in the 200 back and the 200 free relay along with numerous other awards and accomplishments during his tenure at IU made Hesen a candidate for this honor.

Schmuhl and Hesen will be swimming with the best of the best of the U.S., including Olympic champions Ryan Lochte and Matt Grevers.

Mike Alexandrov and Grevers (Northwestern), Ryan Feeley and Charlie Houchin (Michigan) and Michael Weiss (Wisconsin) are among the swimmers representing Big Ten Conference teams in the 2012 Short Course World Championships.

The IU men's swimming and diving team kicks off the season on October 19 in an away dual meet against Kentucky and Tennessee at 2:00 p.m.