Blog

Hoosier swimmers to compete in dual meet against Texas and Michigan

By Gabrielle Reed
Published Oct 25, 2012 11:57 am

The Indiana swimming and diving team will be traveling to Texas to compete in a dual meet against the Texas Longhorns and the Michigan Wolverines at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center in Austin on Friday at 4:30 p.m.

"This meet will be one of the highest levels of competition that the team gets prior to Big Tens," sophomore Steve Schmuhl said, "Michigan and Texas are top tier teams, but if the team swims up to our potential, it will be a very close race."

Coming off their first dual meet and two victories against Kentucky and Tennessee, the men's team will look to juniors Eric Ress, James Wells, and Cody Miller and Schmuhl to continue contributing first place finishes and will encourage the freshman to perform to their abilities and add to the Hoosiers' depth. Third place finisher in the 100 backstroke last weekend, freshman Tanner Kurz is expected to put points on the board for IU.

For the women's team, Canadian native and freshman Brooklyn Snodgrass will be a threat to the Wolverines and the Longhorns in the backstroke events.

In the season opener, Snodgrass touched the wall in first place in both the 100- and 200 backstroke events.

"We are strong in backstroke yet lack depth, Head Coach Ray Looze said. "If the freshmen develop quickly we will have the depth we need to be successful at the conference meet."

Junior Lindsay Vrooman was a top-scorer for the women's team last weekend as she placed first in the 1000-yard freestyle and second in the 500 freestyle, while freshman Taylor O'Brien finished behind Vrooman in both events.

"Our biggest team strength right now is that we a very unified as a team right now," Vrooman said, "I've never been on a team that was this supportive of each other."

Junior Darian Schmidt and senior Mick Dell'Orco led the men's diving team in points against Kentucky and Tennessee, while the women's divers failed to produce top three finishes.

Looking to Friday's meet, the IU swimmers and divers hope to compete to their fullest against Texas and Michigan.

"Our Head Coach Ray always says we swim fast when we're having fun, so I can guarantee that we're going to be enjoying this meet a lot more than the other two teams," Vrooman said.