Per IU:

Indiana's first four-time All-American, Angel Escobedo, won the men's freestyle 55-kilogram Challenge Tournament at the recent U.S. World Team Trials. With the win, Escobedo earned a shot in the best-of-3 finals match with the victor advancing to September's World Championships in Moscow, Russia.\0x2028After defeating former All-American Paul Donahue, Logan Stieber and former National Team member Nick Simmons to advance to the championship match, Escobedo dropped a 1-0, 4-0 decision to Obe Blanc.

Over the next few months Escobedo will be traveling the world and training for his run at making the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team. He is also set to make several return trips to the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, the place he's called home for much of the time since his graduation from IU in April.

"Angel has the potential to be a World and Olympic Champion," said U.S. Assistant National Coach Brandon Slay, a 2000 Olympic gold medalist. "It's been an absolute honor to work with him at the Olympic Training Center with a full-time freestyle focus."

"Being at the Olympic Training Center, I've learned a lot of great technique and strategy," said Escobedo. "It's been a great experience. They have great coaches and training partners out here. The coaches have taught me that I need a good game plan when I go out there to compete."

Speaking about the 2008 Olympic freestyle finals at 55 kg/121 lbs., a match won by American Henry Cejudo, Escobedo told themat.com, "It was very inspiring to see a kid my age do something like that. I was so excited after that match that I couldn't sleep. Watching that night, I was like, 'Henry did it. Why can't I do the same thing?' He inspired me. I want to be an Olympic Champion. I want to win an Olympic gold medal."

For additional information on Angel's quest for Olympic gold, check out his official website www.angelescobedo.com.