Northwestern coach Joe McKeown yells at an official after what he thought was a bad call during the team's 81-57 loss to IU on Saturday, Dec. 20 at Assembly Hall. McKeown is only the 34th NCAA coach to reach 500 wins. He is 512-182 in 22 seasons coaching George Washington, New Mexico State and Northwestern. (James Brosher / Indiana Daily Student)

Here are some quotes from Northwestern Coach Joe McKeown following his team's 81-57 loss to IU Saturday night in Bloomington.

On getting within 6 points midway through the second half

"I think we had some breakdowns defensively. When we made our run we got stops at one end and were able to get really good shots off of Jaescke reverse of the ball. Then they made a couple of plays, I want to say it was Jackson, she made a couple of big plays in that stretch. Thomas made a couple of baskets during that stretch. We are not offensively potent enough to match baskets when we get the lead down and try to win the game at the end. We have to get stops, we can't match people basket for basket, were just not enough firepower."

On the defensive pressure from IU, especially Kim Roberson

"She is a good player. I'm not sure that hurt us as much as some of the breakdowns we had in the second half when we got it down to five or six, that was a key part of the game."

On their defense

"I was disappointed in our defense. We played really well this year defensively. That's the worst we have played all year."

On losing a lot of close games this season

"It's been real tough for me. I've never had a losing season in 24 or 2 years. Its real tough, especially when we had Marquette beat, gave it away, we had Clemson beat, gave it away, we had Missouri beat. Those three games are really killers. Lead DePaul at halftime and got outplayed in the second half. This is the first game probably that we didn't lead at half time all year, just off the top of my head. Its frustrating, but we just have to keep finding ways to compete and do those things that got us those leads. You saw the stretch we played really well in the second half, we have to do that on a more consistent basis, then we will be ok."

On decision to come to Northwestern

"There was a lot of different factors. Some family issues. Also the opportunity to build a program at a school like Northwestern where in the early 90s, the mid 90s, they were really good, in the NCAA tournament six times. The potential is there. We just feel like its been untapped. From a recruiting standpoint to be able to attract some of the top student-athletes in the country, I always felt like Northwestern that should be a place like Duke and Stanford, Vanderbilt, George Washington, academic schools that are in the top 20 every year in women's basketball. To me Northwestern, there is no reason we should not be in that mix over a period of time. Getting there is going to be painful for me."

On the play of Indiana

"I was waiting for them to make some more mistakes and they did a pretty good job of handling it. They are a good team, there solid, veteran team, and they play to their strengths. I'm disappointed we could not take them out of some things. It gives us something to work on for the next time we play Indiana."