This is the eighth installment of our summer "Getting to know" series on IU's 10 new players. Today, we focus on Kory Barnett, a 6-foot-5 200 pound forward from Rochester, Ind.

Behind Kory Barnett Barnett is one of three preferred walk-ons on this year's team that were originally recruited by Kelvin Sampson and kept onboard by Tom Crean. He led his high school to a 21-6 record his senior season. After some debate, Barnett decided to walk-on the Hoosier basketball team last summer. Like many preferred walk-ons, Barnett turned down scholarship offers from smaller schools in favor of playing for free at a big school and under a prestigious coach (he turned down an offer to walk-on at Kansas). Barnett has said he hopes to get into coaching once he graduates, and playing for a coach who could mentor him factored into his decision.

During high school, Barnett played in the Indiana Elite AAU program alongside a slew of college-bound prospects including Tyler Zeller, Emmanuel Negedu and fellow Hoosier Daniel Moore. He helped IU in its recruitment of Negedu, but the the top prospect eventually committed to Tennessee.

On the floor Like many walk-ons that have been through IU's program over the last dozen years, Barnett was a pretty good high school player on a good team. Instead of being "the man" for Rochester, Barnett was the team's top defender and a well-rounded role player. At 6-5 200 pounds, Barnett has good size for a wing player. In addition to averaging just under 12 points a game in high school, he averaged about six rebounds and four assists a game.

How Barnett fits in with the Hoosiers IU's depth chart has plenty of question marks, but the one area the team does have some depth in is on the wing, Barnett's position. As a walk-on, Barnett did not commit to the Hoosiers expecting to see the floor as a freshman (remember Devin Ebanks?), but with the team's massive overhaul everyone on IU's roster will av e a chance to contribute. The Hoosiers have five scholarship players that play the 2 or the 3, but Crean could turn to Barnett as a defensive sparkplug this season. Barnett has said he is working on his three-point shooting and is hoping that become a strength of his over his college career.

People who know more than me on Barnett "Based on what we saw from Barnett last year on the traveling team circuit, his strengths are his defensive play and ability to knockdown the outside shot if left alone. He also is effective in transition thanks to solid passing skills and hustle." - Michael Pegram, Peegs.com

"I'm not going to go be a scorer anywhere I go. All through high school, I've played with great scorers, and I'm kind of a role player. I'm more of a defensive player. I'm not going to go anywhere and score 20 points ... but I'd still love to work and hopefully get a role somewhere at IU, whether it's defense, or just scrapping, anything I can do." - Kory Barnett describing his game to IU Planet

The numbers don't lie... '07-'08: 11.9 ppg, 6.3 rpg and 4.2 apg

A little bit more on Barnett * Kory has been friends with fellow IU walk-on Daniel Moore since the sixth grade. Moore played for Carmel and the two grew up playing basketball together and against one another. * Barnett will wear No. 24 for the Hoosiers. * His father, Mike, played basketball for Huntington University. * Barnett is a sports marketing and management major. * Someone show Barnett some love: "Maybe I won't get my name in the paper, but I never have. I'm looking forward to being part of a team and making an impact any way I can." (via Scout.com)

Check back for our next featured Hoosier, Daniel Moore.