Okay, that's a reach.

Reporters got their first chance to talk to freshman guard Verdell Jones this past Wednesday. Here are some of the highlights from the group interview:

Q: What are some of the strengths of this team that you see so far? Verdell: Some of our biggest strengths are that we're quick, we're fast. We have a lot of guards on this team and that could be a great asset to us. The Big Ten is known as a bang it out conference, and I think the type of offense that Coach [Tom] Crean will bring and the types of players he's recruiting will cause a lot of match-up problems.

Q: There has obviously been a pretty big rivalry between Indiana and Illinois. Being from Illinois and coming to Indiana, do you hear anything from the hometown fans? Verdell: Yeah, I heard quite a bit of stuff, especially from my family members who are Illinois fans. They didn't like it too much when I committed here. It's been a big rivalry before I came to Indiana, it's going to be a big rivalry while I'm here and it will be a big one after I leave. Just because I'm from Champaign and came here doesn't it make it anymore special than it already is.

Q: You don't want to single out games over others, but does the game at Illinois have more significance before you're from there? Verdell: The only reason why I'd circle it is because I'm coming back to my hometown and will have a lot of friends and family see me. Every game has the same significance and important and has the same goal we want to achieve, and that's to win.

Q: Do you and your teammates find yourself closer as a group now because you all started at the same time? Verdell: I think so. In the summer we were a little shy of each other and weren't sure how we'd come together. But over the summer we grew so quickly and so fast it was a beautiful thing. Like Nick [Williams] said, "we're like brothers now." We hang out everyday, on the weekends we're all together in big group. We have come a long way and I think by us being closer, outside of the court, it helps us on the court too. Now we know how each other plays. I know that if I pass it to Nick on the left side, he's not a great finisher on the left side, so I pass it to him on the right side so he can finish better. I just think by us being so close off the court its helped us tremendously on the court.

Q:How much have you seen a change in yourself physically since coming here and how difficult has it been to get stronger? Verdell: You might not be able to tell, but it's a been a big change personally [laughs]. In high school, I could use my height and shoot around and over little guards and stuff. But college is a whole different level, you got short guards who are strong and are quick and will guard you full court. I think I've put on about 15 pounds and gotten much stronger, I can jump higher, and I think the weight has helped me in a way where when I go to the hole I can finish better. In high school, I'd get bumped and go to the foul line. Now I can take the hit, finish and re-adjust my shot. I think putting on weight and getting stronger has been a big factor for me.

Q: What's being around Coach Crean like everyday? Verdell: Every time he talks to us, or in individual workouts, his enthusiasm gives you energy. You'll be dead tired and he'll give you a motivational quote and it'll give you energy and you'll be ready to play again in practice. I think that's going to help us in the game too, just his energy and when we get tired I think feeding off him will help us get through the game.