Combining strong pitching and a move the runner over mentality, the Hoosiers claimed their second home win of the season today with a final score of 6-3 over IPFW.

After giving up a first inning run to the Mastodons, sophomore starter Tyler Tufts settled down on the mound. Tufts would go six solid innings, giving up three runs, one earned, on nine hits with seven strikeouts, a new career high.

"(I felt) good," Tufts said following the win. "A lot of my stuff was working. My slider was working today. It just felt good to get in another (quality) start before Big Ten."

On the offensive side of the ball, IU played small ball with ten hits, two walks, and five stolen bases.

After falling behind in the first inning, the Hoosiers answered back, knocking in three runs in the bottom half of the frame.

Up 3-1 in the fifth, IU scored two more runs on three straight singles from sophomore center fielder Andrew Means, freshman second baseman Evan Crawford and freshman right fielder Sterling Mack. The trio would all steal a base in the inning during the scoring burst that extended IU's lead to 5-1.

"Once we get on (base) and steal second, we're just trying to get the guy over to third like we've been doing all year," Means said. "Coach (Tracy) Smith's system of baseball is to get them on and get them in."

Even after Tufts gave up two runs in the sixth, the Hoosiers weren't fazed, holding on for the 6-3 win. IU is now 9-8 on the young season.

IU returns to action Sunday at 1 p.m. at Sembower to wrap up the weekend series. Smith said following Saturday's game that he will switch up his lineup some in hopes of getting more power. Look for junior Jon Fixler to move from first to the backstop and senior Ben Greenspan to start at first.

Freshman Matt Bashore will toe the mound for IU. The southpaw is 2-1 with a 1.99 ERA in four games this season, three of them starts.