In dramatic fashion, the Hoosiers kicked off the Big Ten season on a high note with a 2-1 win over Michigan State today. In the bottom of the ninth, junior first baseman Jon Fixler hit a walk-off RBI single to center to give IU the win, extending the team's winning streak to seven games.

Fixler's single knocked in sophomore right fielder Chris Hervey from second base.

"This is a big win for us, especially because in the past we've had trouble with one-run games," Fixler said following the win. "It was a great win for our program."

For much of the game, IU struggled to figure out Michigan State starter Craig Brookes. The senior gave up a hit to the first batter he faced, senior shortstop Keith Haas, and then retired the next 17 batters before allowing two singles and a run scored in the sixth.

Sophomore starter Tyler Tufts kept IU in the game as the bats went silent. For the game, Tufts threw 8 2/3 innings, giving up a whopping 15 hits but only allowing one of those runners to score.

The sophomore knows how important it is to have his defense on their toes behind him.

"It's huge, especially the way I pitch," Tufts said. "I force (batters) to put the ball in play and let my defense do the work."

Just one out away from the win, the IU defense failed Tufts when Hervey's throw from right on a Michigan State single bounced off Haas' glove, rolling out into shallow left field. Spartan right fielder Eli Boike scored on the error.

But the defensive misfortunes didn't slow down the Hoosiers who came up in the ninth and scored the winning run on Fixler's walk-off RBI single.

"I told the guys we haven't had a walk-off win since I've been here so let's show them we can do that," IU coach Tracy Smith said after the win. "It's a good win for the team, and we just have to find a way to win ugly."

The Hoosiers return to action tomorrow with the Spartans for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. at Sembower Field.