sports softball

Indiana softball defeats Purdue in first round of Big Ten Tournament

spiusbrecap050824.jpeg

The softball rivalry between Indiana and Purdue continued to intensify as they faced each other for the third time this season in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament. With a win-or-go-home scenario, the stakes were high and the pressure was on.  

Their last encounter in Bloomington resulted in a doubleheader split, making this match-up even more exciting. It was a rare occurrence, only the second time in history that the in-state rivals battled it out in the Big Ten Tournament, adding an extra layer of thrill to the game. 

Junior pitcher and utility player Brianna Copeland pitched in the circle for the Hoosiers for the entire game, striking out nine. The defense started off hot, retiring the first three Boilermakers. 

All-Big Ten First Team sophomore infielder Sarah Stone got Indiana on the board first with a line drive RBI to score Copeland. Sophomore catcher Avery Parker kept momentum for the Hoosiers as she hit an RBI single to score junior outfielder Taylor Minnick.  

Senior outfielder Aaliyah Andrews capped off the scoring with a sac fly to score another runner. At the end of the first inning, Indiana was up 3-0.  

Copeland threw her third strikeout of the day in the top of the second inning, then was in the batter’s box in the bottom of the frame. She scored on a Purdue error to add another run for the Hoosiers. Freshman utility player Aly VanBrandt hit a two RBI triple to extend the Hoosiers lead.  

Indiana was up 6-0 in the bottom of the second frame with no signs of slowing down.  

The Hoosier defense was strong, and VanBrandt made an impressive diving catch to keep the game scoreless to end the top of the third inning. Indiana got on base in the bottom of the fourth but failed to execute. 

Minnick led the team at the plate, going 2-4 on the day, with VanBrandt right behind her, going 2-3 with two RBIs. Except the hitting comparison between the teams was just 9-7, with Indiana taking the leverage.  

The Boilermakers got on board in the top of the fifth inning, adding three runs to threaten the Hoosier’s lead. While Indiana didn’t respond on offense, it held its own on defense, not allowing Purdue to get on the board another time for the rest of the game.  

Indiana finished off the Boilermakers 6-3 to advance to the second round of the Big Ten Tournament and send Purdue home.  

With its victory, Indiana now has a rematch with the No. 1 seed Northwestern, who they faced in the last weekend of the regular season. The Wildcats won the series 2-1. Last season, the Hoosiers saw success in the Big Ten Tournament, reaching the final but ultimately lost to the No. 1 seed Northwestern.  

The matchup between the Hoosiers and Wildcats is set for noon Thursday at Bob Pearl Softball Field in Iowa City, Iowa. The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network. 

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Sam Elster (@samelster1) for updates throughout the Indiana softball season.