arts jacobs school of music

Jacobs School of Music ends the year with ‘Jazz Celebration’ on April 20

mac042023.jpg

The Jacobs School of Music will present “Jazz Celebration” at 7:30 p.m.April 20 at the Musical Arts Center. The concert will feature the Jacobs Jazz Studies program’s students and teachers playing old favorites and new hits in jazz. Guest musicians will also make an appearance. 

One guest will be Rodney Whitaker on the jazz bass. Whitaker is an international jazz musician who has performed with Wynton Marsalis (the artistic director of Jazz at Lincoln Center) and multiple Grammy award-winning artist Roy Hargrove. He is also a member of Jazz at Lincoln Center and teaches as the Distinguished Professor of Jazz Bass and Director of Jazz Studies at the Michigan State University College of Music. According to the Jacobs School of Music website, he is considered one of the leading bass performers and teachers in the nation.  

After “Jazz Celebration,” the Jacobs School of Music will move into its 2024–25 season. Some highlights include “The Nutcracker,” “The Turn of the Screw” and “Carmen.” A full list of the new season’s productions and information about them can be found on the Jacobs School of Music website. 

Tickets for “Jazz Celebration” are $10 for students and varying amounts for the public depending on the seat location. Tickets are available on their website or by calling the box office at 812-855-0021.