sports track & field

Indiana track and field divides for tri-meet weekend

spiutrack041424.jpg

Indiana track and field split up once again this weekend, with the distance runners traveling to California to compete in the Bryan Clay Invitational and the Beach Invitational, while the field event groups and sprinters headed to Muncie, Indiana, for the We Fly Challenge.  

Competition on the West Coast kicked off Thursday with the first day of the Bryan Clay Invitational hosted by Azusa Pacific University. Graduate student Austin Haskett placed 35th in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase with a new personal best of 8:52.69. 

On Friday, junior Camden Marshall finished 10th in the men’s 800-meter run with a time of 1:47.53. Senior Maddie Russin tied for 88th in the women’s 800 in 2:09.07. 

Closing out the meet Saturday, senior Mariah Wehrle placed 26th in the women’s 1,500-meter run. 

Nearby in Long Beach, California, Brayden Henkle jumpstarted competition for the Hoosiers in the Beach Invitational on Friday. He earned a personal best time of 9:39.41 to finish eighth in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase.  

On Saturday, junior Camden Marshall won the men’s 800-meter run in 1:48.16. 

In Muncie, the Hoosiers had a strong showing in the field events to commence the We Fly Challenge. On Friday, graduate student Nathan Stone and junior Tyler Carrel tied for first in the men’s pole vault, clearing 5.00 meters. Sophomore Riley Johnston finished fourth with a vault of 4.85 meters. 

The day after, Indiana captured 10 titles and several season bests. 

Junior Sean Mockler placed first in the men’s hammer throw with a distance of 65.31 meters. Junior Tyler Reyna finished fifth with a throw of 52.22 meters. 

Sophomore Alex Smith placed second in the men’s long jump with a leap of 7.39 meters. 

In the women’s long jump, graduate student Serena Bolden claimed first with a jump of 6.14 meters. Bolden also finished second behind senior Mahogany Jenkins in the women’s triple jump. The pair cleared 12.75 meters and 12.57 meters, respectively. 

Graduate student Micah Camble won the men’s 400-meter hurdles in 51.72 seconds, and sophomore Ryann Parrish won the women’s 400-meter hurdles in 1:01.92, also earning a new personal best. 

In the men’s 100-meter dash, graduate student Antonio Laidler finished first in 10.24 seconds and junior Trelee Banks third in 10.51 seconds. 

Laidler also earned the 200-meter dash title with a new personal best of 20.56 seconds. Junior Otto De St Jeor finished second in 21.27 seconds and sophomore Novo Onovwerosuoke closed out Indiana’s sweep with a third-place finish in 21.31 seconds. 

Graduate student Kenisha Phillips won the women’s 200-meter dash in 23.65 seconds and the 200-meter dash in 54.28 seconds. 

The men’s 4x100-meter relay team of Onovwerosuoke, Laidler, De St Jeor and Banks claimed first in 40.43 seconds, while the women’s team of Kristina Vincic, Symone Adams, Phillips and Bolden finished second in 46.02 seconds. 

The Hoosiers will divide again next weekend, with some of the team traveling to the Gibson Invitational in Terre Haute on April 18-20 and others to the Kentucky Invitational in Lexington and the Wake Forest Invitational in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, from April 19-20.