sports softball

Indiana softball dominates Iowa, sweeps the weekend

spiusbrecap042124.jpeg

With a clear goal in mind, Indiana softball head coach Shonda Stanton led her team into the weekend knowing a series sweep could be pivotal for her squad’s postseason chances.  

The team, fresh from a split doubleheader against Purdue, understood the importance of each game in the final stretch of the season.  

“We’re going to expect to go up and win a series,” Stanton said April 17. “If you want to be playing in postseason you got to win ballgames this time of year.” 

Team 51 breezed past Iowa in all three games, outscoring the Hawkeyes 24-4 to improve to 34-13 this season.  

Junior outfielder Taylor Minnick continued her hot streak swinging the stick and recorded two home runs on the weekend. She improved her batting average to .380 and now leads the Hoosiers in the category. 

In the first game of the weekend April 19, both Minnick and senior outfielder Aaliyah Andrews recorded home runs. Junior infielder Sarah Stone went three-for-four at the plate with two RBIs. In total, five Hoosiers recorded RBIs against the Hawkeyes.  

The Hoosiers controlled the batter's box, out-hitting Iowa 12-2. Junior pitcher and utility player Brianna Copeland tossed a complete game, only allowing two hits and leading Indiana to an 8-0 win in the first game.  

Sophomore pitcher Sophie Kleiman was in the circle for the Hoosiers for game two and allowed three hits. Iowa threatened in the first three innings until the Hoosiers took the lead for good in the fourth. It all began with senior infielder Brooke Benson's RBI single, eventually taking a 3-1 lead.  

In the sixth inning, the Hoosiers scored five runs, including a solo home run from redshirt senior outfielder Cora Bassett, who went three-for-three in the batter's box. Once again, it was a good day for the Hoosiers swinging the sticks as they outhit Iowa 9-3.  

With powerful hitting and the ability to make leaping plays in the outfield, the Hoosiers won the second game 9-1.  

Indiana leads the Big Ten in hitting with a team batting average of .318 and is also No. 3 in the Big Ten in pitching with a 2.85 ERA.  

On Sunday, a mix of Copeland and Kleiman was used in the circle. They combined to allow seven hits and strike out four batters. But it was a slower day for the Hoosiers in the batter's box as they recorded their first two runs on unearned walks.  

Iowa kept it close in the first inning until sophomore catcher Avery Parker hit an RBI single to regain the lead in the top of the second.  Freshman infielder Aly VanBrandt followed Parker with an RBI.  

With Iowa threatening in the fourth inning with the bases loaded, Andrews made a diving catch to prevent any Iowa runs.  

Copeland went yard on a two-run home run for her seventh home run this season, securing the Hoosiers’ 7-3 victory and a series sweep. 

The Hoosiers sit at No. 4 in the Big Ten with a conference record of 10-7. The sweep of the Hawkeyes marked the third consecutive weekend that Indiana swept its opponent.  

Next up for Team 51 is an away midweek matchup at 6 p.m., Wednesday with Butler University. The Hoosiers’ last home series of the season is set for April 26-28 against Wisconsin.  

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Sam Elster (@samelster1) for updates throughout the Indiana softball season.