city education bloomington

MCCSC superintendent bought out by school board after three years

casuperintendent021621.jpg

MCCSC Superintendent Jeff Hauswald will part ways with the school district at the end of the 2023-24 school year, according to a joint statement from Hauswald and the school corporation’s board of trustees. The board and Hauswald agreed to a buyout of the remainder of Hauswald’s contract, though it’s unclear how much this will cost the school board. No other information on the buyout is currently available, and the MCCSC did not immediately respond to requests for comment. 

The statement also announced that the board will be undertaking a search for a new superintendent for the 2024-25 school year. 

While the statement did not specify the reason for Hauswald’s buyout, the current administration has made a series of widely opposed decisions in recent months. These included a failed attempt to align all MCCSC high schools’ schedules, which sparked widespread protest, and a controversial proposed merger of elementary schools to balance socioeconomic status in the district. 

Hauswald has been superintendent of MCCSC since July 1, 2021. Since then, he’s seen the district through two property tax referendums, one in 2022 that increased educator salaries, and one in 2023 that funded pre-K. However, critics questioned the 2023 referendum, and it ultimately only passed with 50.52% of the vote. 

The statement also highlighted accomplishments such as creating the MCCSC’s strategic plan, presiding over teacher pay raises post-referendum and leading the district out of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“I wish the very best to this community and to Monroe County Community School Corporation," a portion of Hauswald’s statement reads. “I am proud of our accomplishments, and I look forward to watching from afar as the Board President and new leadership create a new and innovative path forward for the Corporation. I look forward to a strong finish to this school year and do not want my departure to be a distraction to the important work to be done between now and June 30, as well as the important work to be done thereafter.”