sports women's basketball

No. 14 Indiana women’s basketball throttles Maryland 71-54 on Senior Day

_59A8346.jpg

No. 14 Indiana women’s basketball returned to Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall on Sunday, hosting Maryland on Senior Day and looking to improve to 15-0 at home this season. 

Graduate student forward Mackenzie Holmes, graduate student center Arielle Wisne and fifth-year senior guard Sara Scalia were each recognized ahead of tipoff for their contributions to the program. 

Indiana began the contest on a 16-2 run to take control ahead of the first media timeout. However, the Terrapins immediately responded with a 12-0 run of their own to pull within 2 points. 

Entering the second frame with a 5 point advantage, Indiana went on another lengthy scoring run — this time 15-0 to take a 20 point lead with 2:52 left in the first half. Maryland cut its deficit to 15 at the break, holding the Hoosiers scoreless for the final two minutes of the quarter. 

Scalia led all scorers at halftime with 14 points on 5-of-7 from the field. Sophomore guard Yarden Garzon racked up 12 points in her 14 minutes of action in the opening half, going 4-of-6 from beyond the arc. 

Coming out of the locker room to begin the second half, the squads traded baskets in the early moments of the third quarter before Indiana went on a 7-0 run.  

While leading by 15 points with 1:20 left in the third, Holmes landed awkwardly after being fouled. Despite trying to walk off the injury, she headed into the locker room and returned to the bench with 1:15 left in the game. 

Entering the fourth quarter with a 16 point deficit, the Terrapins and the Hoosiers went back and forth for most of the final frame. 

Indiana sophomore forward Lilly Meister suffered an ankle injury halfway through the fourth. She exited the game but remained on the bench for the rest of the contest.  

Maryland pulled to within 13 points in the fourth, but the Hoosiers eventually pulled away and emerged with a 71-54 victory. 

Indiana finished the regular season with a 24-4 record, finishing third in the Big Ten with a 15-3 conference record. The Hoosiers will head to Minneapolis, Minnesota, for the Big Ten Tournament. Indiana will play approximately 25 minutes after the 6:30 ET matchup Friday.

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa), columnist Ryan Canfield (@_ryancanfield) and photographer Olivia Bianco (@theoliviabianco) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.

UPDATE: Indiana head coach Teri Moren stated Lilly Meister suffered an ankle injury in the postgame press conference.