sports track & field

Indiana track and field earns podium finishes in NCAA Indoor Championships

spiutrackrecap030924.jpg

Six Hoosiers traveled to Boston this weekend to represent Indiana track and field in the NCAA Indoor Championships, and all six earned first-team All-American status.  

The men’s distance medley relay team kicked off the event Friday. Junior Camden Marshall and graduate students Austin Haskett, Antonio Laidler and Parker Raymond joined forces to finish sixth with a time of 9:29.37, the 10th-fastest time in school history.  

Graduate student Jessica Mercier placed eighth in the women’s pole vault, clearing 4.40 meters. The vault earned her a podium finish in her final collegiate meet. 

To close out Friday, graduate student Kenisha Phillips competed in the women’s 400-meter dash semifinals, finishing in 52.42 seconds. She recorded the seventh-fastest time of the day, earning a spot in the final Saturday. 

In the 400-meter final, Phillips finished eighth in 53.92 seconds, the third podium finish for the cream and crimson. 

After a three-week break, Indiana kicks off its outdoor season March 29-30. The team will split up to compete at the Battle on the Bayou Invitational in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, North Carolina.  

Indiana’s sole home meet in the outdoor season falls May 3 when the Hoosiers will host the Billy Hayes Invitational before entering the postseason.