sports swimming & diving

Indiana men’s swim and dive coasts to third consecutive Big Ten Championship

spiusdrecap030424.jpg

Indiana men’s swim and dive continued its dominance in the Big Ten, clinching its third consecutive conference championship March 2.  

The Hoosiers ran away from the rest of the competition, claiming the title by a margin of 296 points. After the women’s team’s victory in its Big Ten Championship meet, the program has clinched just its second-ever double championship and its first since 2019.   

Indiana swept the opening night relays. Most notably, the 200-meter medley relay team of senior Brendan Burns, senior Tomer Frankel, junior Finn Brooks and senior Gavin Wight swam the second-fastest time in program history at 1:22.17. The 800-meter freestyle relay team of Burns, Frankel and juniors Kai Van Westering and Rafael Miroslaw capped off night one with a 6:10.86 first-place finish.  

In all, the team won four of five relays and medaled in every relay event, doing so for the second straight year.   

Three swimmers became Big Ten champions in their respective events. Senior Jassen Yep won the 200-meter breaststroke (1:50.40), becoming a conference champion for the first time. Burns clinched the 200-meter backstroke title (1:39.50) for the fourth year in a row to wrap up his career with 22 total Big Ten championships: 11 in individual events and 11 in relays. Frankel set a new meet record in the 100-meter butterfly (44.32).  

The breaststrokers helped Indiana to victory by taking all four top spots in the 200-meter event. Yep took the title with junior Josh Matheny (1:51.50), freshman Toby Barnett (1:51.95) and senior Maxwell Reich (1:52.07) finishing second, third and fourth, respectively.  

Indiana capped off its championship performance with its eighth 400-meter freestyle relay title in nine years. Represented by Burns, White, Frankel and freshman Mikkel Lee, the Hoosiers beat Michigan by just 26 hundredths of a second in the race which sealed the title.  

“It's humbling to get another title,” head swimming coach Ray Looze said in an IU Athletics press release. “We know it's going to be difficult to keep going, but we're going to keep putting one foot in front of the other." 

The divers were just as dominant for the men. Junior Carson Tyler led the way with two Big Ten championships. He clinched the 3-meter championship on Friday (453.90) and followed up on Saturday with victory in the platform diving championships (462.60), his second consecutive title in that event. His performance was enough to earn Big Ten Diver of the Championships for the second straight time.  

Sophomore Maxwell Weinrich joined the medal club for the first time in his career with a third place finish on the platform (360.95).  

"Max really showed up,” head diving coach Drew Johansen said. “He’s gaining confidence with every dive he does.” 

That confidence will be needed when the divers head down to Louisville, Kentucky, for the NCAA Zone Diving Championships from March 14-16. They will link back up with the swimmers when both the men’s and women’s squads head to Indianapolis for the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships on March 27-30.