Xavier Johnson, Indiana men’s basketball anticipate Senior Day against Michigan State

IUvsWis-final-1.jpg

As more collegiate basketball players focus their efforts on professional aspirations and leave school early, fewer stick around with programs long term. For those who do, though, their celebrations are more worthwhile — a cultivation of years of patience and hard work. 

Indiana men’s basketball boasts four seniors on its roster and will celebrate Senior Day on Sunday against Michigan State in the regular-season finale. However, only half are confirmed to participate as the other two have an additional year of eligibility remaining. 

Guard Xavier Johnson has endured a roller coaster of a career. After spending three seasons at the University of Pittsburgh, he transferred to Indiana to close out his college career, but it didn’t exactly unfold as expected.  

Now a sixth-year senior, Johnson has exhausted his NCAA eligibility and will be recognized by Indiana. For head coach Mike Woodson, it’s a moment Johnson has deserved for a long time. 

“It’s a special night for him,” Woodson said via Zoom on Friday. “I couldn’t be more proud and happy for X because he has gone through a lot.” 

In 2021-22, Johnson started in 34 of Indiana’s 35 games in his first season with the program, averaging 12.1 points and 5.1 assists per game as the Hoosiers made their first NCAA Tournament since the 2015-16 season. Still, he decided to return for his fifth and seemingly final season with Indiana. 

However, what was supposed to be his final season didn’t go as planned. After starting Indiana’s initial 11 games of the 2022-23 campaign, he suffered a season-ending foot injury at the University of Kansas on Dec. 17, 2022. In April 2023, Johnson was granted a medical redshirt to return for his sixth season. 

He has suffered injuries to his elbow and foot this season, but Johnson is back on the court for one final push with the Hoosiers. Providing a veteran presence and tempo-controlling role as primary ballhandler, Johnson’s impact has steadily improved since his return. 

Johnson’s contributions on the court have been crucial to Indiana’s success the past few years and a potential quest for a third NCAA Tournament bid this season. However, perhaps the most important impact he’s made has been off the court, including an unbreakable bond with Woodson. 

“I’m always going to be there for him if he needs me,” Woodson said. “I’m going to do whatever I can to help him do whatever he wants to do in the next phase of his life. For me, that’s what coaching is all about.” 

*** 

Senior guards Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal’s futures are uncertain. Both the only four-year players on the roster and both in-state natives — Galloway from Culver and Leal from Bloomington — have yet to determine whether they will go through the Senior Day celebration. Woodson said Friday he hasn’t had the opportunity to discuss their plans with them. 

Galloway started his Indiana career with a productive bench role and has gradually worked his way up the rotation after a breakout junior season. After averaging 20.3 minutes per game and making 10 starts in 45 games his first two years, he jumped to 27.5 minutes per game in 32 games last season — 25 of them starts after replacing the injured Johnson in the lineup. 

Now, Galloway finds himself as an indispensable part of the Hoosiers’ game plan every night. Starting in all 30 games this season, he averages career highs of 34.2 minutes per game, 10.8 points per game and 4.8 assists per game. He is two assists shy of the Indiana single season record for assists in Big Ten play and would break Quinn Buckner’s record from the 1974-75 season. 

Leal experienced a different journey with the Hoosiers. The 2020 Indiana Mr. Basketball struggled to find a consistent role within the rotation. After averaging double-digit minutes per game his first two seasons, he stooped to a mere 2.1 per contest last year. 

However, Leal persisted and stuck with the program, and it started to pay off this year. He worked his way to the lineup and is averaging career highs 13.8 minutes per game, 2.4 points per game and 2.1 rebounds per contest.  

The highlight of his season was a 13-point, 7-rebound performance against Iowa on Jan. 30 to lead Indiana to a crucial win. After the game, he emphasized his loyalty to the program. 

“I love this university and this school,” Leal said. “Just being committed to that and understanding that this is a dream come true whether I’m playing one minute or 40 minutes. Just being able to put on this jersey is kind of my mindset and just the love for IU.” 

Still, Galloway and Leal have decisions to make. Whether it be the transfer portal or graduating and moving on to the next level, the pair must decide between a fifth year or the end of their Indiana careers. 

*** 

Senior-plus forward Anthony Walker will join Johnson in celebrating the Senior Day ceremony after using all his eligibility. Walker joined the Hoosiers this season after spending four years at the University of Miami. 

Walker is averaging 5.4 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in 29 appearances this season. He has been one of Woodson’s crucial role players, consistently being one of the first players off the bench each game. 

However, Walker’s availability is now in question. He suffered a right knee injury in Indiana’s 70-58 win at Minnesota on March 6. Woodson said Friday that his MRI checked out well but his status for practicing that day and playing Sunday was still uncertain. 

Michigan State has far from lived up to its top-5 preseason AP Poll ranking. The Spartans enter the contest 18-12 with a 10-9 Big Ten record. 

Michigan State’s defense is where the team excels. It ranks second in the conference allowing just 65.9 points per game and sits No. 11 nationally with an adjusted defensive efficiency rating of 94.4, according to basketball analytics site KenPom. 

Despite their records being separated by one game, the metrics strongly favor the Spartans over the Hoosiers. Michigan State is ranked No. 23 in the NET and No. 19 at KenPom compared to Indiana’s No. 95 NET ranking and No. 91 at KenPom. 

Sunday’s contest has major implications on Big Ten Tournament seeding. The Hoosiers can still finish the season ranked anywhere from sixth to 11th in the conference, and the winner of the game will receive a tiebreaker over the other.  

Indiana and Michigan State will tip off the Hoosiers’ Senior Day at 4:30 p.m. in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The game will be televised on CBS. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.