Former Indiana men’s basketball guard CJ Gunn transfers to DePaul

011224_IUMBBxMinnesota_012.jpg

Former Indiana men’s basketball sophomore guard CJ Gunn is transferring to DePaul University, he announced Friday via X, formerly known as Twitter. Gunn initially entered the transfer portal March 19. 

Gunn played two seasons with the Hoosiers and made 29 of his 49 appearances this season. He’s one of three Hoosiers to have entered the portal, joining forwards Kaleb Banks and Payton Sparks. 

Gunn averaged 2 points in 7.5 minutes per game his freshman season. This season, he increased his average to 3.9 points in 12.9 minutes per contest. He shot 2-for-24 (8.3%) in his freshman campaign before improving to 17-for-50 (34.0%) this year.  

Gunn’s most productive outing came in the Hoosiers’ final game against Nebraska in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals March 15. He scored 17 points on 7-for-15 shooting along with one rebound, assist, steal and block. 

The Indianapolis native committed to Indiana on Feb. 7, 2021, when Archie Miller was head coach. Despite Miller’s firing and current head coach Mike Woodson’s hiring, he stayed committed to the program. He was a 3-star recruit and was ranked 178th in the 2022 class, according to 247sports composite rankings. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball offseason.