Indiana football coach Curt Cignetti considering late transfer wave to help secondary

shawnasbury.jpg

The back end of Indiana football’s defense looks much different entering spring practice than it did at the conclusion of last season — and it’s still subject to change before the fall. 

Louis Moore and Phillip Dunnam, who started a combined 17 games across 24 appearances at safety, both transferred this offseason. Moore went to the University of Mississippi while Dunnam opted for Florida Atlantic University after initially announcing his intent to return to Bloomington. 

In place of Moore and Dunnam, new Indiana football head coach Curt Cignetti brought in a pair of transfers from Old Dominion University — Shawn Asbury II and Terry Jones Jr. — to secure the safety position. 

Cignetti, who previously coached at James Madison University before replacing the fired Tom Allen on Nov. 30, saw both Asbury and Jones play firsthand last season when the Dukes faced the Monarchs on Oct. 28. 

Jones logged seven tackles and a quarterback hit, while Asbury made six tackles and snagged an interception, which he returned 46 yards to set up an Old Dominion field goal. Both players left an impression on Cignetti, not only in that game but during the film sessions preceding it. 

So, Cignetti, who brought 10 transfers with him from James Madison but didn’t touch the secondary, filled both of his vacant safety spots with the Monarch standouts, each of whom earned honorable mention All-Sun Belt accolades in 2023. 

“They both played well, had a lot of tackles, good production, All-Sun Belt-type honors,” Cignetti said Feb. 7. “We liked what we saw on tape, thought they could help us. Looking forward to seeing 'em.” 

The 5-foot-9, 195-pound Asbury began his career at Boston College before transferring to Old Dominion before the 2022 season. This past year, Asbury was the Monarchs’ fourth-leading tackler with 93, six of which went for a loss, while adding an interception. 

Jones, who stands 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, logged 107 tackles last season, the third-most on the team. He has one year of eligibility remaining compared to Asbury’s two. 

Asbury and Jones provide veteran presences on the back end of a new-look defense spearheaded by defensive coordinator Bryant Haines, who held the same role at James Madison during Cignetti’s five campaigns at the helm. 

But Cignetti didn’t necessarily arrive in Bloomington expecting to add the Monarch duo — his pursuit stemmed from Indiana’s sudden lack of safeties, a problem that may still be unresolved and could require further attention following the conclusion of spring practice in late April. 

“The two ODU guys were position-of-need guys,” Cignetti said. “We were really thin back there. Probably still need that, a piece or two, after spring ball.” 

Cignetti said the Hoosiers’ offense is in good shape entering the spring, but the defense may still need depth in some areas

The secondary is the first area that came to Cignetti’s mind, and with the NCAA granting immediate eligibility to multi-time transfers, he believes the Hoosiers may have no shortage of options. 

“Evaluate the back end: Do we have what we need going into the fall?” Cignetti said. “Look, if the NCAA doesn't change this multiple transfer rule back, you're looking at another transfer wave in May like you had in December. I don't think it will be as big, but you'll have people coming and going. That's just football right now.” 

Indiana begins spring practice March 21 and will hold 13 sessions before playing the spring game at 8 p.m. April 18 inside Memorial Stadium. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.