sports little 500

Black Key Bulls cycling aims for redemption in 2024 Little 500 events

IMG_9801.jpeg

Every year since its inception into the IU Little 500 race in 2006, the Black Key Bulls cycling team has placed in the top 10, even winning the race in 2014 and 2017.  

The team has established itself as a solid contender throughout the years, never wavering even through the gain or loss of riders — it’s always a team others watch out for and will have to beat in the final laps of the race. 

But in 2023, there were no Black Key Bulls cyclists to mark or race against. The team failed to qualify for the Little 500, losing their streak of dominance and top-10 finishes. 

With 35 men’s teams showing up to qualify in 2023 and 33 teams allowed to race, the Black Key Bulls only needed to beat out two others. 

“In 2022 we were placed first at [qualifiers] until Phi Kappa Psi beat our time,” BKB alumni and then-senior Daniel Kang said on March 15. “We all wanted that green jersey.” 

After a failed first quals attempt with an inaccurate exchange and a flagged second quals attempt which controversially could have been overturned after video replay appeared, BKB had only one remaining attempt to qualify. 

In their third and final attempt, BKB had the choice to slow down their effort, cautiously and safely exchange their bike from rider to rider and guarantee a spot in the 2023 race. 

The possibility of earning the fastest time at quals and receiving green jerseys, given out to the fastest team at quals, got into the minds of the riders.  

“We were just hung over our heads that it was so achievable,” Kang said. 

Instead, the team went as fast as their first two exchanges — a bold move which could have led to a pole position and sent a message to the other 32 teams but resulted in missing the field of 33. 

“It was one of those moments — I don’t know what happened,” Kang said. “It’s something I’ve pondered on for a long time.” 

Kang and the other BKB members turned to one another for support, and after a year of group reflection on the failed quals attempt, the team is ready to redeem themselves this year. 

Only one rider from the 2023 quals team remains on the current roster — junior Will Wagner. 

All other riders have not yet competed in quals or the Little 500 race, but believe they have the power, experience and team dynamics to be competitive.  

Jack Handlos, who is a senior and current team captain for BKB, joined the team in Fall 2020 and has experienced team dynamics throughout the years. This year, he says, is one the strongest teams thus far. 

“It’s as hard as any BKB team has collectively worked,” Handlos said March 15. “We’re all rookies from a race day perspective and we may have inexperience, but we have strong legs.” 

Handlos participated in the Candy Stripe Classic bicycle race March 9, hosted by the Indiana University Cycling Club. He placed first in the men’s C category race and was followed closely by fellow BKB teammate Kan Kikuchi in third and Wiley Close, who is the first second-generation Black Key Bulls rider, in seventh. 

The men’s B category, a level above C, was won by BKB rider Wagner. The results from the race, three weeks before quals, demonstrate just how fit the team is. 

“Almost any of us on the team could get a race-day spot in my opinion,” BKB senior McGuire Wolfe said March 15. “We know how to race; we’ve spent a lot of time watching tape and figuring out how to ride the track optimally. I’m excited." 

But even with a deep and talented group of riders like BKB’s, the team still needs to overcome qualifying — something they plan to do Saturday. 

“I think last year we got a little too cocky,” Handlos said. “What happened last year won’t happen again because that experience will be in the back of our minds. This year, on the first attempt we’re going full gas. On the second attempt, we’re going to granny pitch it.” 

Wolfe noted that the team has emphasized solid bike exchanges during practice this year to ensure that qualifications run smoothly. 

“I love this group and have no problem throwing hours of exchanges,” Wolfe said. 

Despite placing their focus on quals, the BKB riders still aim to perform well in the Spring Series of events. 

In 2023, BKB delivered at the Spring Series events following their quals disappointment. Then senior Gavin Goode won the individual pursuit, with Wagner placing eighth and Handlos placing ninth. The team placed fourth overall in team pursuit. 

“Our goal for this year is white, of course,” Handlos said. “I think we’re plenty deep.” 

The white jersey is given out on race day to the team with the best performance in the Spring Series races.  

Barring the BKB’s focus on quals, Spring Series and their Little 500 performance in 2024, they’ve placed a clear emphasis on the bond of the team and greater Little 500 community. 

“All those morning roller sessions in the sub-zero degree basement; every single little detail means so much,” Kang said. “It may not mean so much to you, but it means so much to everyone around you.  

Kang, now residing in Seattle, has already booked his flight and hotel for the 2024 Little 500, eager to watch his team turn the corners at Bill Armstrong Stadium again. 

“I look forward to meeting the new generation of BKB. My expectation is for them to really soak it in — results don’t matter to me, it’s not the podium that makes you the champion,” Kang said. 

BKB’s smooth dynamics and support for each other have helped them to excel as a team in practice. They hope to continue their growth and perform well throughout the Little 500 events in 2024. Their first big challenge is quals just ahead Saturday.