Deficient fundamentals hold back Indiana men’s basketball in 76-72 loss to Northwestern

IUvsNW021824-finals-28.jpg

Fundamentals are some of the first things taught to those learning the game of basketball. Boxing out rebounders, taking care of the ball and making free throws may seem like little things, but they go a long way toward winning. 

Sunday afternoon, Indiana men’s basketball failed to execute the little things in a 76-72 loss to Northwestern at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. A late surge got the Hoosiers in contention for the win, but Northwestern made the winning plays in all three areas Indiana couldn’t en route to victory. 

Free throws 

Indiana shot below 60% from the free-throw line against Northwestern marking the seventh time it has done so this season, and its misses were timely. 

Right before the Wildcats extended their lead to a game-high 16 points with six minutes remaining in the contest, the Hoosiers missed three consecutive free throws with an opportunity to cut the lead to single digits. Instead of creating an 8-point deficit capable of surmounting, Indiana trailed by 16 with not enough time to make the comeback. 

Still, the Hoosiers clawed back and made it a game down the stretch, but it could’ve been even closer. Senior guard Trey Galloway split a pair of free throws off a flagrant foul with 3:34 remaining and freshman forward Mackenzie Mgbako did the same 40 seconds later.  

The two misses could have made it a one-possession game, but instead, Indiana trailed by 5 points and gave up an ensuing basket. The Hoosiers’ season-long free-throw struggles persisted, and head coach Mike Woodson knew it. 

“A close game where you’re scrapping and scraping, you’ve got to make free throws, and we were 12-for-21,” Woodson said. “So that’s just not good in close games.” 

Conversely, the Wildcats excelled at the line and showed their clutch gene in the game’s final minute. A trio of free-throw shooters combined to shoot 9-for-12 at the charity stripe when the Hoosiers continually fouled in hopes of misses.  

Graduate student guard Ryan Langborg exemplified the ice in his veins late. Langborg entered the contest a 72.3% shooter at the free throw line but went 6-for-6 in the final minute to help Northwestern retain its lead.  

Junior guard Brooks Barnheizer did the same. Indiana trailed by 3 points with five seconds left and fouled Barnheizer, who missed the first shot but made the second facing down Indiana’s student section to clinch the victory.  

Offensive rebounds 

Despite Indiana’s size advantage featuring 7-foot sophomore center Kel’el Ware and 6-foot-9 forward Malik Reneau, the Wildcats pounded the Hoosiers on the offensive glass to gain several second chances that altered the game. Northwestern grabbed 14 offensive boards, including nine in the second half, and created 12 second-chance points off them.  

Senior center Matthew Nicholson did most of the damage on the glass in a career day. The 7-foot Wildcat grabbed seven of his career-high 16 rebounds on the offensive side and converted them into 6 of his 14 points. Nicholson had entered the game averaging 4.3 rebounds per game and had never achieved a double-double.  

Northwestern came into the contest as the Big Ten’s worst rebounding team both overall and offensively, but still won the battle on the boards. Woodson attributed the difficulties on the glass to Indiana’s smaller lineups in the game. 

“I thought the 50/50 balls, they beat us to tonight and we played smaller,” Woodson said. “We have to utilize our strengths when we’re on the floor being big, but it didn’t help us tonight.” 

Turnovers 

Indiana has struggled to take care of the ball while Northwestern entered the day as the Big Ten’s best at avoiding turnovers, and both held true Sunday. The Hoosiers were sloppy with 11 giveaways while the Wildcats protected the ball well, and Northwestern capitalized off Indiana’s mistakes and turned them into scoring. 

The Wildcats scored 11 points off Indiana’s turnovers while the Hoosiers failed to procure any scoring off Northwestern’s three giveaways. Reneau led the team with four turnovers, including what Woodson remarked as the biggest play of the game. With 14:21 remaining in the game and Indiana down 2 points, Langborg stole Reneau’s pass and made a 3-pointer on the opposite end to start a Northwestern run. 

Eight of the Hoosiers’ hiccups with the ball came in the first half. While Northwestern was pressuring the ball and impacted plays, freshman guard Gabe Cupps said it was more a result of Indiana running through the motions. 

“Sometimes we got a little bit passive in the first half compared to the second half,” Cupps said. “We were much more aggressive and not on our heels as much. When you’re on your heels, you make poor decisions that lead to turnovers.” 

Poor control of the ball has been costly to Indiana this season and it proved problematic again Sunday. In a contest decided by 4 points, a few better passes or turnovers created could’ve made the difference. 

The loss was Indiana’s fourth in Assembly Hall this season. The Hoosiers will look to avoid No. 5 at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday against Nebraska. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.