arts iu auditorium performances

'Jesus Christ Superstar' 50th-anniversary tour to have two-night run in the IU

entjesuschristsuperstar021224.jpg

“Jesus Christ Superstar,” a musical created by Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony award-winning composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and playwright Tim Rice will be performed at 7:30 p.m, Feb. 19 - 20 in the IU Auditorium. The two-night run in Bloomington is one stop in their 50th anniversary North American tour.  

Communicated only through song, “Jesus Christ Superstar” is the story of events during Jesus Christ's final weeks as seen through the eyes of Judas Iscariot, Christ’s betrayer. The rock opera musical opened in Broadways Mark Hellinger Theatre in 1971. In August of 1972, the show premiered in London’s Palace Theatre where it had an over eight-year run. At the time of the shows closing, “Jesus Christ Superstar” was the longest-running musical in West End — a large cultural hub in central London.  

Webber previously composed musicals including “Bad Cinderella,” “School of Rock the Musical” and “Sunset Boulevard.” One of only 19 artists toting EGOT status, Webber has won an Emmy, four Grammys, an Oscar and eight Tony awards, as well as seven Olivers and a Golden Globe award. The composer is also known to be an advocate for diversity and education in the arts.  

Constance Cook, Jacobs School of Music director and professor of music, will host “Pre-Show Talk: The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber,” from 6:30 - 7:15 p.m., Feb. 20 in Woodburn Hall Room 121. The event is free and open to the public.  

Tickets for the musical start at $30 and are available for purchase on the IU Auditorium website.