arts iu auditorium

Off-Broadway theatrical group ‘STOMP’ will perform on Saturday, Jan. 20 at IU Auditorium

entstompauditorium011424.jpg

As a stop on their national tour, the stage show “STOMP" will be performing at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 20 in the IU Auditorium. "STOMP” is a well-known percussion group that has performed at IU several times over the last decade.  

The explosive performance by the “STOMP” cast features the use of matchboxes, brooms, garbage cans, Zippo lighters and other household items in a sequence of choreographed percussion movement and physical comedy.  

“STOMP" was created in 1991 by Steve McNicholas and Luke Cresswell in Brighton, England and began its run in the United States in 1994 at the Orpheum Theatre, New York City. Since its beginning, "STOMP” has toured nationally and internationally and performed on stages in Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong and Argentina among many others. The group performed at the off-Broadway New York City theatre for nearly thirty years; their last show was on Jan. 8, 2023. 

RelatedNightlife events to watch for in January Take time to see events happening at and around IU.

The performance group has won several awards including the Oliver Award for Best Choreography in 1994, a New York Obie Award in 1994, a Drama Desk Award for Unique Theatre Experience in 1994 and in 2013, a “Legend of Off Broadway” from the Off Broadway Alliance. The group was featured in the “Sesame Street” special titled, “Let’s Make Music” and is the subject of HBO’s “STOMP OUT LOUD,” which are only a few of the group’s television and advertisement collaborations.  

Tickets start at $17 for students and $30 for non-students. More information on the performance group “STOMP" can be found on its site.