arts community events iu cinema bloomington

Nightlife events to watch for in January

entconcertsspring0110824.jpg

After a few weeks of celebrating the holiday season, the town of Bloomington and IU’s campus continue to have events open for college students and families alike. This month, the IU Cinema, The Bishop Bar and The Bluebird Nightclub are just a few venues that have lineups of various movie screenings and performances by talented musicians and skilled poets.  

At 7 p.m. Jan. 18, the IU Cinema will be doing a 3D screening of the “Titanic,” a class and well-known film which stars actors Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. Tickets are $5 and can be found online

At the same location at 10 p.m. Jan. 19, the movie “Road House,” is showing. The film features Patrick Swayze as Dalton, a bouncer with a doctorate hired to clean up one of the rowdiest bars, “The Double Deuce.” Tickets are $5 and can be found online

Outside of the IU Cinema film screenings, The Bishop Bar has musicians and poets set to perform for this month. At 9 p.m. Jan. 12, singer and songwriter “Millaze,” will fill the event space with alt pop music alongside the band “Moonnews,” a post-punk band. Admission is $7, and the event is for those 21 and up.  

At the same location at 9 p.m. Jan. 19, The Bishop Bar will host the “Bloomington Poetry Slam,” where poets will fill the night using words as self expression in hopes of winning the competition. Admission is $5, and the event is for those 18 and up. The next night at 9 p.m. Jan. 20, William Tyler & The Impossible Truth will perform with Technicolor Band. The quartet strives to perform Tyler’s compositions to their fullest potential with various post-rock influences. Tickets are $20 and can be found online, and the event for those 18 and up.  

The Bluebird Nightclub also has a plethora of musical performers for January. At 9 p.m Jan. 13, musical performers “Six Foot Blonde,” will light up the stage for attendees with their indie pop tunes. Tickets are $10 and can be found online and the event is for those 21 and up.  

At the same location at 9 p.m. Jan. 27.,  there will be a “Bac 2 Mac - Fleetwood Mac Tribute.” Fleetwood Mac is a well-known rock band that became most popular in the ‘70s. Tickets are $15 and can be found online. The event is for those 21 and up.