city politics

Shelli Yoder announces run for 2024 Senate reelection

cashelliyoder011924-jpg

Shelli Yoder, Indiana assistant minority leader and state senator, D-Bloomington, filed for reelection in the 2024 Indiana State Senate on Jan. 17, according to a press release. 

“Over the past four years, I’ve fiercely defended the rights of Hoosiers and worked to build an Indiana that is more prosperous and fair for all,” Yoder said in her press release. “In the Senate, I have been a strong voice in support of clean air and water, access to affordable housing and childcare, medical privacy and personal liberty, and for a brighter future for our communities.”  

The Indiana State Senate election will be held Nov. 5, 2024, with the primary on May 7.  

Yoder has represented District 40, which encompasses most of Monroe County including IU-Bloomington, since 2020. Prior to her first Senate election, she represented the district on the Monroe County Council starting in 2013 and served as its president from 2018 to 2019. She was elected as assistant minority leader by the Democratic caucus in 2022. Yoder is also a senior lecturer at the Kelley School of Business, where she teaches courses in communications and professional skills.  

During her time in government, Yoder has spoken up in support of abortion care, mental health, education, food security and environmental sustainability, according to Yoder’s website. During the Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce’s Legislative Preview Jan. 12, Yoder voiced support for better mental health care, saying that Indiana still needs more infrastructure to support the goals of Senate Bill 1, which was signed into law last year and aims to expand community mental health programs and emergency helplines.  

Since Indiana’s 2024 legislative session began Jan. 8, Yoder has voted in favor of expanding the child care workforce and supporting providers. She’s also voted to prohibit health insurance companies from requiring prior authorization for routine procedures, federally-approved prescription drugs and emergency health care, among other services. Both bills are awaiting second readings.  

“Now more than ever, we need principled, progressive leadership in the General Assembly,” Yoder said in her press release. “In my first term, I championed legislation to improve the lives of all Hoosiers – especially those whose voices have too often been unheard in state government – and worked across the aisle to pass common sense legislation, including making it easier to access SNAP benefits and access to contraceptive care. It is my honor to serve the people of Monroe County in the Indiana State Senate, and I look forward to continuing the fight for a brighter tomorrow together.”  

Indiana State Sen. Scott Baldwin also announced he is seeking reelection, for District 20. Sen. Jean Leising has also filed for District 42. The deadline for candidates to file is Feb. 9, 2024.