sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer hires Jennifer Wandt as assistant and goalkeeper coach

spiuwswandt010524.jpeg

Indiana women’s soccer hired Jennifer Wandt as its assistant coach and goalkeeper coach, according to an IU Athletics release Thursday.

"Jennifer's ability to develop and recruit goalkeepers sets her apart, making her an invaluable asset to our team,” Indiana women’s soccer head coach Erwin van Bennekom said in the release. “Beyond her professional expertise, it was Jennifer's ambition and, most notably, her mindset that resonated deeply with (assistant coach) Tim Verschuren and I. It is this alignment of vision and values that solidified our decision to bring her on board. We eagerly anticipate Jennifer's contributions and are confident that she will hit the ground running and help continue to elevate the program." 

Wandt spent 2023 as an assistant goalkeeper coach at Illinois State University — her first season as a coach. She played at Baylor University from 2017-2020, leaving the program as the all-time career and season record holder for shutouts and wins. In her sophomore and senior seasons, Wandt made All-Big 12 Second Team before moving on to play professionally for two seasons in Sweden for Trelleborgs FF. 

"I am thrilled to join the Indiana coaching staff this spring," Wandt said in the release. "I am grateful to Erwin for giving me this opportunity. I am excited and ready to continue to develop the goalkeepers at this incredible institution and to be a part of this program's success on and off the field." 

Wandt will begin her tenure in Bloomington with one of the program’s best goalkeepers on the roster. Jamie Gerstenberg, the 2023 Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year, will return for her senior season after setting the program record for most career shutouts in 2023 with 24.