sports women's basketball

Indiana women’s basketball’s Holmes named to Wooden Award midseason Top 25 watch list

spiuwbbholmes011124.jpeg

Indiana women’s basketball graduate student forward Mackenzie Holmes was named to the John R. Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 Watch List, according to a Wooden Award press release Wednesday. 

The Wooden Award — created in 1976 — is awarded to the most outstanding player for men’s and women’s college basketball. The award was first presented to a women’s college basketball player at the conclusion of the 2003-04 season, doing so annually since then. 

Holmes was a 2023 Wooden Award All-American and a top five finalist for the award in 2022-23. 

Through 15 games so far this season, Holmes averages 19.7 points per game — second in the Big Ten. She leads the conference with a 66.5 field goal percentage and is fourth in blocked shots with 22. 

Amidst the Hoosiers 13-game win streak, Holmes has averaged 20.7 points per game, leading her squad to a 5-0 start in Big Ten play for the first time in program history. 

Indiana (14-1, 5-0 Big Ten) returns to action at 8 p.m. Saturday against No. 3 Iowa (16-1, 5-0 Big Ten) and Caitlin Clark. The contest will be nationally televised on FOX.

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa), columnist Ryan Canfield (@_ryancanfield) and photographer Olivia Bianco (@theoliviabianco) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.