sports club hockey

Indiana club hockey suffers first back-to-back losses this season against Miami

spiuhockeyrecap011324.jpg

Indiana club hockey lost both its games against Miami University Jan. 12 and 13, marking its first two-loss streak of the season. The club’s record now stands at 19-5. 

The club played a home-and-away series against the RedHawks after a five-week break. On Friday, the Hoosiers played at Miami University, where they lost 5-2. Saturday’s home game was a closer match, with the Hoosiers losing 2-1. 

Indiana scored first on Friday, with senior defenseman Matthew McKay scoring off an assist from junior forward Ithan DeLorenzo during a power play three minutes into the first period. Miami sophomore forward Erik Miller tied it up the same period with six minutes left. 

RedHawk junior forward Michael McCormick scored another for Miami two minutes into the second period, kickstarting an active period for the RedHawks. 

Miami’s sophomore forward John Fratto slid a third goal past Indiana senior goaltender Sammy Bilis four minutes into the second period. Two minutes later, Miller scored again, bringing the tally to 4-1. 

Indiana junior forward Will Gerami decreased the RedHawks’ lead back to two with an unassisted goal 11 minutes into the second period. 

Fratto scored the final goal in the third period, padding Miami’s lead and yielding the final score of 5-2. 

The next day, the two teams played a well attended afternoon game at Frank Southern Ice Arena in Bloomington. The Hoosiers wore pixelated gray and white camouflage jerseys for Military Appreciation Night. 

Saturday’s game was scoreless through the first period but not without penalties. The referee sent one RedHawks player to the box for interference. Shortly after, Indiana sophomore defenseman Leo Warner took a minor penalty for tripping. Both teams played physically but were unable to find a goal. 

Just one minute into the second period, RedHawks senior forward Jack Massey put the puck in the net for the first goal of the game. 

Indiana junior forward Aiden Simoneau scored against Miami senior goaltender Noah Kinsinger in the third period, tying the teams 1-1. The RedHawks retaliated with four minutes left in the game via a goal by freshman defenseman Jack Schweitzer. 

Miami University stands at No. 5 in the Southeast according to the American Collegiate Hockey League’s most recent rankings. Indiana ranks No. 3. 

Indiana will travel to No. 11 ranked University of Michigan on Jan. 19 and 20.

Follow reporter Molly Gregory (@mollygregory22) for updates throughout the Indiana club hockey season.