Indiana swim and dive claims 5 of 6 Big Ten weekly awards

spiusdbrief012424.jpg

Indiana swim and dive claimed all but one possible award from the Big Ten this week, with five athletes taking home conference honors after wins over Michigan.  

Junior Anna Peplowski and senior Brendan Burns took home women’s and men’s Big Ten Swimmer of the Week honors, respectively. Peplowski won two individual events, the 200-yard freestyle (1:45.14) and 200-yard backstroke (1:56.46), and finished under a second from first place in the 500-yard freestyle (4:48.70). She was also a member of the women’s 400-yard freestyle relay winning team (3:16.68).  

Burns claimed his title after sweeping the backstroke events, including a three-second victory in the 200-yard back (1:43.99). He also triumphed in the 200-yard butterfly (1:44.37). He helped the Hoosiers to another first place finish in the 200-yard medley relay with a 21.87 backstroke split, the fastest in the event. 

In the diving pool, senior Anne Fowler and junior Carson Tyler achieved the Big Ten Diver of the Week awards for the women and men, respectively. Fowler claimed victory in both the 1-meter (323.85) and 3-meter (353.78) springboard events, completing one-half of the Hoosiers’ diving sweep in Ann Arbor. 

Tyler finished the second half of the sweep after winning both the 1-meter (383.85) and 3-meter events himself. His 466.35 in the 3-meter is a personal-best, helping win the event by 116.55 points. 

The fifth award, Big Ten Freshman of the Week, went to Mikkel Lee, his second of the season. Lee beat out teammate Rafael Miroslaw in the 100-yard freestyle (43.53) and was runner-up in the 50-yard freestyle (19.84). Lee also bookended both his relay events, contributing to victories in the 200-yard medley (1:25.86) and the 400-yard freestyle relay (2:53.92).  

The Hoosiers are back home in Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center for senior day against Purdue on Saturday, Jan. 27th.