sports softball

Indiana softball’s Copeland and Minnick named to D1 Softball’s Preseason Top 100 list

spiusbbrief011824.jpeg

Indiana softball’s pitcher and utility player Brianna Copeland and outfielder Taylor Minnick were named to D1 Softball’s Preseason Top 100 players list, according to an Indiana Athletics release Thursday. 

In 2023, the pair of sophomores led the Hoosiers to a 44-18 record, eventually falling 3-7 to the University of Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament Regional Final. 

Copeland was ranked No. 45 ahead of the season. She finished second on the team in home runs and became Indiana’s ace in the circle. The Pelham, Alabama, native accumulated a 22-4 record, finishing with an earned run average of 2.88 while hurling 165 1/3 innings. 

Minnick — ranked No. 79 — ended her second season in the cream and crimson with a .390 batting average. The Bloomington native notched 12 home runs while batting in 55 runs.  

Although the duo played instrumental roles in winning a program-record 23 consecutive games and an NCAA Tournament berth for the first time since 2011, they struggled in the final four games of the season. In two matchups apiece against the University of Louisville and Tennessee, the pair combined to go 4-21. 

In addition to Copeland and Minnick, a former Hoosier cracked the top 15. Now at Stanford University, Taryn Kern was ranked No. 12 coming off her Big Ten Player of the Year campaign in 2023. Kern confirmed her transfer portal entry June 9, 2023, before announcing her commitment to Stanford on July 18, 2023. 

With most of its core nucleus back in the fold and five freshmen newly joining the program, Indiana is set to begin its season at the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Leadoff Classic from Feb. 8-11 in Clearwater, Florida.

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Sam Elster (@samelster1) for updates throughout the Indiana softball season.