Indiana football to host 5-star quarterback recruit Julian Lewis

Julian Lewis.jpg

Indiana football is scheduled to host quarterback Julian Lewis, a 5-star recruit in the 2025 class, in Bloomington this Sunday, according to 247sports. 

Lewis attends Carrollton High School in Carrollton, Georgia, and is currently committed to the University of Southern California. Still, his recruiting process remains open, as he’s slated to visit the University of Alabama and University of Georgia in the days before heading to Bloomington. 

Lewis, who is 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, is the No. 8 player in 247sports’ composite rankings, and with a 0.9968 overall grade, he’d become the highest-ranked commit in Indiana football history. 

Lewis was named the MaxPreps National Sophomore of the Year and was a finalist for the Gatorade National Player of the Year after throwing for 3,094 yards, 48 touchdowns and two interceptions in 13 games this season. He reclassified from 2026 to 2025 on Jan. 16, making him a rising senior. 

247sports Director of Scouting Andrew Irvin offered a glowing review of Lewis. 

“Advanced quarterback prospect that has a chance to be special,” Lewis said. “First made a name for himself in Georgia’s youth football leagues before posting a 14-1 record as a freshman starter in the Peach State’s highest classification. More than comfortable operating on the move and can make a variety of high-level throws look relatively effortless.” 

Indiana’s new coaching staff, led by head coach Curt Cignetti, offensive coordinator Mike Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Tino Sunseri, first offered Lewis on Dec. 2.

Sunseri has a strong relationship with Lewis, dating back to their paths crossing earlier on the recruiting circuit. Per 247sports, Sunseri, then at Alabama, was the first coach to connect with Lewis at recruiting camps several years ago. 

Cignetti has remodeled Indiana’s quarterback room, landing Ohio University senior transfer Kurtis Rourke and a pair of high school commits — 4-star Center Grove product Tyler Cherry, the highest-rated recruit in the Hoosiers’ 2024 class, and 3-star Alberto Mendoza. 

Cignetti, Shanahan and Sunseri had considerable success with quarterbacks at James Madison University, and Cignetti said in a press conference Dec. 20 he believes this track record has made his coaching staff an appealing destination for signal callers. 

“Right now, quarterbacks are attracted to us,” Cignetti said. “Because when you take four different guys in five years and they're all Player of the Year in the conference and they all have different styles, they recognize that you do a great job of developing quarterbacks. That's a credit to Tino Sunseri and Mike Shanahan, and I'm involved in that a little bit too.” 

Lewis hasn’t signed his National Letter of Intent and can change his commitment from USC at any time. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.