Indiana football lands commitment from Ohio transfer quarterback Kurtis Rourke

spiufbrourke121423.jpg

Graduate student quarterback Kurtis Rourke, who entered the transfer portal from Ohio University on Dec. 5, announced his commitment to Indiana football Thursday afternoon on his social media. 

Rourke has one season of eligibility remaining. In four seasons starting with the Bobcats, Rourke amassed 7,666 passing yards and 50 touchdowns to go along with 862 rushing yards and 11 scores on the ground. 

The 6-foot-5, 231-pound native of Oakville, Ontario, Canada was a 2-star prospect in the high school class of 2019, according to 247Sports. But he became a 4-star transfer and the No. 1 ranked pro-style quarterback available in this portal cycle. 

In 2022, Rourke was one of the most prolific players in the MAC. Across 11 games, Rourke threw for 3,256 yards and 25 touchdowns against just four interceptions. He added four scores and 249 rushing yards en route to MAC Offensive Player of the Year honors. 

Rourke tore his ACL at the end of the season, and he battled injuries at the outset of the 2023 campaign. Still, he was able to throw for 2,207 yards and 11 touchdowns and add a third consecutive season with at least 200 rushing yards. 

Rourke’s announcement marked head coach Curt Cignetti’s second transfer pickup — former Wake Forest University running back Justice Ellison announced his commitment to Indiana on Sunday night.  

The Hoosiers also picked up a commitment from 3-star high school quarterback Alberto Mendoza from Miami, Florida on Monday, but Rourke’s experience will likely catapult him to be the favorite for the starting spot. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.