COLUMN: A year in (film) review

entfilmreview011624.jpg

According to my Letterboxd Year in Review, I watched 565 films in 2023; a number that, when shared as a personal fun fact during class introductions this past week, made one of my professors gasp. I can only hope his seemingly involuntary response stemmed from admiration, and not concern. Yeah, let's go with that. 

Of those 565 films, 80 of them were new releases (AMC A-List, I couldn’t have done this without you). After careful deliberation between me, myself and I, I’ve narrowed down a list of my top 10 favorites. Because 2023 was such a stacked year, I unfortunately had to omit some films that I truly loved. Also, I’m sorry in advance for not including “Barbie.” 

10.) “Poor Things 

Emma Stone delivers the best performance of her career in Yorgos Lanthimos’ offbeat take on female autonomy and sexual liberation. The film’s awkward humor and absurdity shroud it in an alien, idiosyncratic veil, but this unique tone doesn’t weaken the film’s beating heart. It sneaks in plenty of emotional gut punches due to Stone’s raw vulnerability. 

9.) “Godzilla Minus One 

Every bit of praise you’ve heard about "Godzilla Minus One” is warranted. On the surface, it’s a thrilling monster movie with breakneck pacing and outstanding visual effects. At its core, though, it’s a ruminative exploration of guilt and grief. Unlike a lot of action blockbusters today, this film devotes plenty of time to getting to know the characters and their motivations, wants, fears and flaws. 

8.) “BlackBerry 

2023 saw the increased popularity of what I’m calling “the product biopic.” While most of these films feel like carbon copies of each other, “BlackBerry” sticks out because it has something to say about the consequences of being greedy in a capitalist society. Director Matt Johnson’s goofy sense of humor shines through, and Glenn Howerton’s turn as Jim Balsillie — a cutthroat businessman — is one of the best and most underrated performances of the year. 

The seventh installment in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise was released at quite possibly the worst time – one week before “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” – meaning many people quickly forgot about it. Still, it’s one of the best action films of the year because of its thrilling set pieces, booming score and timeliness. Tom Cruise literally fights artificial intelligence, and frankly, that’s enough for me to put it in my top ten. 

6.) Asteroid City 

Call me crazy, but I’m a firm believer that “Asteroid City” is one of Wes Anderson’s best. The signature Anderson-isms are there — quirky dialogue, centered framing and fantastical production design, to name a few — but they work in tandem with the existential themes Anderson explores in a rather introspective manner. “Dear Alien (Who Art in Heaven)” deserves an Oscar nomination. 

As a “John Wick” loyalist, this was everything I wanted the fourth installment to be. It’s nearly three hours of pure carnage held together by Keanu Reeves’ ruthless, yet stoic energy. The film is a visual feast for the eyes with stupidly maximalist lighting and intelligently shot set pieces. Unexpectedly, “Chapter Four” also features an absurdly funny moment of slapstick comedy that’s like the cherry on top of an already perfect film. Watching this film in a huge IMAX theater is probably the closest I’ll ever get to reaching nirvana. 

4.) “Anatomy of a Fall 

I didn’t immediately fall in love with “Anatomy of a Fall,” a two-and-a-half-hour courtroom drama that has a relatively simple premise: did Sandra kill her husband, or did he fall out of a window? In the courtroom, different perspectives and motives are explored through wordy, dense confrontations. But as the film progresses, the narrative shifts: turning into an exploration of family dynamics under public scrutiny. In the end, the film’s humanity knocked the wind out of me.  

3.) “The Iron Claw 

Speaking of having the wind knocked out of me, “The Iron Claw” is a deeply tragic, ugly cry-inducing biopic about the Von Erich brothers. Even though the subject matter is devastating, the film is beautiful in the way it paints endurance, legacy and brotherhood. Held together by Zac Efron’s powerhouse performance and inventive editing, “The Iron Claw” captures the spirit of resilience and the beauty of americana. The “Tom Sawyer” needle drop is the best of the year. 

2.) “The Holdovers 

Dead Poets Society” meets “Good Will Hunting” in this future holiday classic that pulls on my heartstrings in a way that hurts so good. “The Holdovers” is a deceptively simple film that reminds us of our innate desire for human connection, love and understanding. It has a nostalgic charm due to its 1970s setting and the beautiful chemistry between the leads. Remarkably, this was Dominic Sessa’s first film role, but he effortlessly holds his own against Paul Giamatti. 

1.) “Oppenheimer 

“Oppenheimer” was always going to be No. 1. That’s a given at this point. What can I say that hasn’t already been said? It’s a gargantuan, vital piece of work that’s already cemented itself as one of the greatest films of the 21st century. It's still selling out IMAX theaters six months after its initial release and has emerged as an awards season frontrunner. To put it in layman’s terms, “Oppenheimer” is, and always will be, that girl. 

2023 was a fantastic year for film, and I hope this list reflects that. If not, there’s always next year, right? Currently, “Mean Girls” is at the top of my 2024 ranking, but it’s important to note that it’s also the only 2024 release I’ve seen. Anyways, I’ll see you at the movies!