city politics

Democrat Beth White announces campaign for Indiana attorney general

cabethwhite012024-jpg

Beth White, president and CEO of the Indiana Coalition to End Sexual Assault and Human Trafficking, announced Thursday she is running for the Democratic nomination for Indiana attorney general in 2024.

White is the second Democrat to declare her candidacy for the position. Destiny Wells, former Indiana deputy attorney general, announced in November she intends to run for the nomination.

Both Democrats are planning to run against current Attorney General Todd Rokita, who announced he is running for reelection in February 2023. Rokita, a Republican, has served as the state’s attorney general since 2021. 

While announcing her campaign in a press release Thursday, White said she would focus on protecting rights, rather than taking them away, as attorney general.

“My entire career has been about fighting to protect Hoosiers – kids, crime victims and voters,” White said in the release. “I’ve taken on the tough, meaningful fights, and that’s what I will do as Indiana’s next attorney general.”

According to her LinkedIn profile, White served as a deputy prosecutor for the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office from 1992 to 1994 before joining the Marion County Office of Family and Children as its chief legal counsel. White worked as the Indiana Department of Workforce Development’s chief legal counsel and director of job training from 1998 to 1999.

White worked for the City of Indianapolis in various legal roles from 2000 to 2006. Marion County constituents also elected White as the county’s clerk in 2006, where she served until 2014. White was the executive director of the Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee from 2016 to 2022.

The Indiana Democratic Party will select its nominee for attorney general during its primary convention in July 2024. Whoever the party selects as its candidate will run as the Democratic party’s nominee in the general election in November.