arts jacobs school of music

Jacobs School of Music events to look for in the spring semester

entjacobseventsspring010824.jpg

As the temperature drops, voices rise, orchestras crescendo and dancers leap across the stage at the Jacobs School of Music. With the new year beginning, those in the IU community can explore the many events the Jacobs School of Music has to offer. 

The first opera of the spring season will be “An American Dream” by Jack Perla, opening at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 2 at the Musical Arts Center. The opera follows two women living in the Pacific Northwest during World War II as they experience the struggles of being Japanese American and Jewish during wartime. Tickets are available through the Jacobs School of Music website. 

For those interested in cinema, “Jacobs Live at the Movies” is returning for another thrilling feature film accompanied with live orchestration by Jacobs students at 7:30 p.m. Feb.16-17 at the Musical Arts Center. The film will be announced closer to the date. Past performances included classic films like “Jurassic Park” and “Back to the Future.” The event is ticketed and student tickets are available for $10 dollars through the Jacobs School of Music website.  

The Jacobs School of Music Ballet Theater department will also be following up last year’s reimagined production of “The Nutcracker” with another reimagined classic ballet, “La Bayadere.” The new production entitled, “Star on the Rise: La Bayadere…Reimagined!,” will have its world premiere at 7:30 p.m. on March 29 at the Musical Arts Center. Tickets are available online.  

Phil Chan, co-founder of Final Bow for Yellowface, and Doug Fullington, a dance historian, are working diligently with the Opera and Ballet Theater department to bring a ballet steeped in caricature to a new audience. The new production removes the classical ballet from its original setting of India and places it in the Golden Age of Hollywood Film. 

A full list of operas gracing the Musical Arts Stage can be found on the Opera and Ballet Theater website along with ticket prices for each production. 

The first orchestra concert of the year will feature the Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by professor of music Jeffrey Meyer at 8 p.m. on Jan. 20 at the Musical Arts Center. The event is free and open to everyone, the concert will also be broadcast on IUMusicLIVE!  

A full list of upcoming orchestra performances and unique presentations by Jacobs School of Music faculty can be found on the Jacobs School of Music event calendar. Some events may be ticketed but free of charge; details can be found on the event calendar.