Trey Galloway’s career day not enough to push Indiana men’s basketball past No. 2 Kansas

spiubbgalloway121623.jpg

Trey Galloway did nearly everything he could.  

Indiana men’s basketball battled with No. 2 Kansas University and the senior guard’s efforts had the Hoosiers leading nearly the entire way. However, Indiana stumbled down the stretch and fell in a 75-71 defeat despite Galloway’s career-high 28 points. 

Indiana’s co-captain entered the contest coming off hot-and-cold play. Galloway came into the season with an expected increase in the Hoosiers’ scoring load after averaging 6.7 points per game on 47.2% shooting including a 46.2% mark from deep in his junior campaign. Through nine contests prior to Saturday, however, he recorded 8.8 points per game on 44.2% shooting at a poor percentage of 13.6% from 3-point range. 

Against the Jayhawks, Galloway attacked the basket in transition for easy buckets to get his offensive flow going. He converted back-to-back fastbreak layups to give the Hoosiers an 8-2 advantage at the 17:26 mark, prompting a Kansas timeout while a fired up, sold-out Assembly Hall crowd roared. 

His scoring slowed down in the following 12 minutes, but his fellow Hoosiers spread the wealth as they maintained a consistent lead over the Jayhawks. Galloway then contributed to an Indiana 8-0 run by corralling a rebound off a miss and taking it coast-to-coast, laying it up and achieving 2 points off a goaltend from Kansas junior forward KJ Adams Jr.  

Indiana attained a double-digit lead with five minutes remaining in the frame, but a Kansas push threatened to shrink it before halftime. It was Galloway’s relentless aggression toward the rim which prevented a Jayhawk outburst. He scored the Hoosiers’ final three baskets of the half as Indiana led by 8. 

He concluded the first frame with 13 points on 6-of-8 shooting, already exemplifying a bigger scoring mindset than recent contests. Galloway attributed his increased aggression towards Kansas’ defensive tactics inside. 

“I think the biggest thing for us was for the guards to be aggressive because we saw what they (Kansas) were doing to our bigs,” Galloway said postgame. “We had to step up and do some things. I had shots and certain reads.” 

Kansas came out of halftime and immediately threatened Indiana, quickly cutting the Hoosier lead to 5 less than three minutes into the half. However, the Cream and Crimson rallied with help from Galloway. He sunk a transition 3-pointer — his first make from deep since Nov. 19 against the University of Connecticut — then put in another layup to give Indiana a 13-point lead, its largest of the contest. 

After making a jumper quickly followed by a sweeping layup to set Indiana’s lead back to 10 with 11 minutes left, Galloway’s contributions started to fade. Foul trouble crept up on him and he coughed up a few turnovers as Kansas turned to senior guard Dajuan Harris Jr. to be his primary defender — a move that paid dividends.  

While the senior struggled, Kansas chipped away. With Galloway getting shut down, the Hoosier offense stalled while Kansas found its groove. With less than five minutes left, the Jayhawks took a 62-61 lead, their first advantage of the game.  

Indiana showed fight and turned right back to Galloway as it attempted to come away victorious. He split a pair of free throws, but Kansas increased its lead to 5. Then, Galloway attacked the basket and powered through contact from Adams Jr. and put in a layup. 

Kansas responded, but Galloway followed with his biggest shot of the day. Sophomore forward Malik Reneau held the ball at the top of the key, and Galloway faked running off a screen and backtracked. The move shook Harris Jr., and Galloway fired from deep and connected to make it 71-69 with 51 seconds left. 

Kansas missed on the other end and Indiana had a prime opportunity to tie or take the lead. Everyone in the building knew who would have the ball in their hands. 

Galloway saw an opportunity. Possessing the ball on the right wing with 23 seconds left, he saw an open look and fired a 3-pointer that would put Indiana back on top. Instead, it hit back rim. 

Trying to play catchup, he fouled on back-to-back possessions, the last one being his fifth. He exited to Indiana’s bench, receiving a rain of applause following his 28-point performance on 12-of-17 shooting.  

Galloway gave the Hoosiers everything he had. He played 38 of 40 minutes and scored 15 of Indiana’s 31 second-half points. Additionally, he didn’t regret his risk-taking 3-point attempt. 

“Of course,” Galloway said about if he would take the potential lead-gaining shot again. “I got to keep trusting my work ‘cause I work hard for this. Next one I get I’m going to make sure I knock it down.” 

The senior guard didn’t play perfectly, as evidenced by his five turnovers, five fouls and a pair of missed free throws, but he showed capabilities of something Indiana has desired all season — strong play from the guard position. 

“It was good to see because he’s had his ups and downs this season,” Indiana head coach Mike Woodson said postgame. “But tonight, he had a solid basketball game. I just hope he can build on that.” 

Saturday’s result marks two consecutive losses for the Hoosiers and moves their record to 7-3. Indiana next faces Morehead State University at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.